Senior Project Engineer-Highway
Compensation: $107,300.00 - $159,640.00 /year *
As a Senior Project Engineer – Highway, you will perform tasks related to the collection of cost data required to monitor project budget and estimates. This role will require the selection and application of resource monitoring and control principles, techniques and technical knowledge of a highway construction project.
- Meets with engineering team to review production schedule and confirm all materials, equipment and resources are readily available for production to continue on schedule and within budget.
- Reviews shop drawings, design specifications, material requirements and project data to ensure quality and contract specification compliance.
- Provides technical input for project work plan and scheduling. Identifying risk elements of production, materials, equipment or process that could negatively impact the budget or schedule.
- Evaluates weekly and monthly production, schedule and budget projections to accurately track project performance. Documents daily activities in Company approved methods and technologies.
- Updates project schedule weekly for owner and management reporting. Attends weekly owner meetings; presents on project production status as needed.
- Perform additional assignments per management’s direction.
- Prepares and manages a three-week work plan. Notifies engineering and project management of any significant schedule changes and develops solutions to mitigate delays and cost.
- Initiates and manages all Requests for Information (RFIs), as needed by project.
- Remits accurate project quantities using assigned project cost coding to ensure project financials are accurately reported. Manages invoicing with Company accounting team regarding materials, equipment and subcontractor needs.
- Supports engineering team with quality assurance as needed. Reviews certificates and permits needed to perform work. Participates in all worksite tours with leadership or external parties.
- Reviews required Job Hazard Analysis (JHAs) to ensure a safe and compliance work environment for all construction personnel. Participates in all weekly safety meetings with field team and project leadership; presents field analysis as needed.
- Assists the estimating team with project schedule, budget and cost parameters by providing technical input as needed.
- Assists the development of design drawings and provides technical input, as needed.
- Coordinates subcontractor work methods, schedule and crews as needed.
- Perform project leadership role during close-out procedures if Project Manager separates from project before close. Reviews close-out checklist with owner and field crews at the end of the project.
- Maintains knowledge of Company values and strategic plan.
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field required.
- 7+ years construction engineering experience required.
- Experience managing construction engineering teams required.
- Proven skill and ability managing engineering teams in a design build or other alternative build project.
- Able to identify and implement growth opportunities in direct reports to build talent development within project team.
- Advanced planning and scheduling skills required.
- Able to drive direct reports and influence non-reporting teams towards a common deliverable.
- Able to set clear expectations for direct reports regarding role and responsibilities.
- Able to delegate and assign work to engineering team to progress the project production forward.
- Able to manage multiple engineering tasks and progress them all towards a common goal.
- Advanced knowledge of contract specifications and quality assurance practices.
- Able to identify budget and project costs and recommend options to mitigate project delays.
- Strong verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of design build and other alternative build techniques.
- Knowledge of financial reporting methods, quantity tracking methods and cost coding.
- Knowledge of construction scheduling and production time management preferred.
- Ability to assume responsibility, interface and communicate effectively with others.
- Valid driver's license required.
Some of the benefits you may be eligible for as an employee are:
- Comprehensive compensation package and paid time off program
- Industry leading 401(k)/RRSP
- Medical/Extended Health Care, Dental, Vison and/or Provincial Medical
- Wellness benefits & Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
We are an EEO/AA/ADA/Veterans employer.
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.