Employment Type: Full-Time
The Segment Manager takes a lead role on projects, liaises directly with the client/owners and is responsible for ensuring the delivery of projects on time and in budget. To be successful in this position, you must have previous end-to-end heavy civil construction experience on large scale design-build projects and a demonstrated track record of leading and executing profitable projects while building talent capability.
As the Segment Manager you will be the Project Manager of a $300m+, ≈20 mile section of the project
What you will be doing
* Lead and manage the construction efforts, ensuring the successful completed project is delivered on time and in budget. Working closely with the Project Director/Project Sponsor, you will have responsibility for overall forecasting, cost management, contingency planning and securing the profitability of the project.
* Develop and maintain successful client/owner and JV Partner relationships on behalf of Flatiron, which can include overcoming challenges and differences of opinions insuring win-win outcomes best for the project and business.
* Establish and implement project objectives, policies, procedures, and performance standards in line with corporate policies.
* Leading by example, you will provide positive safety leadership to the project, promoting our 'Don't Walk By' safety standard and Company Values.
* Assist in reviewing and negotiating contracts, liaising with legal counsel as appropriate in conjunction with the leadership team.
* Assemble key personnel for the project, utilizing internal resources as well as external through your existing network.
* Manage financial aspects of contracts to protect the company's interests and maintain strong relationships with client.
* Contribute technical direction to the pre-award process by determining project scope, planning, and estimating and during construction, act as a technical resource for the project team.
* Lead the project team (including staff from other groups (e.g. JV partners) and sub-consultants and sub-contractors) and coordinate all project resources.
* Monitor/control construction progress to ensure project is built on schedule and within budget.
* Continuously review field operations, ensuring that the project is constructed safely and in accordance with all design, budgetary and scheduling obligations.
* Identifying required and optional changes in project scope and negotiate change orders with the owner.
* Supervisory Responsibility: Consistently demonstrates him/herself professionally and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities may include attracting, selecting, onboarding and retaining talent; planning, assigning, and directing work; performance management of team members including annual performance appraisals, disciplinary actions, addressing complaints and resolving problems; building talent and succession within the team.
What we are looking for
* A Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering or related field from an accredited institution or equivalent training and experience is required
* 10+ years of proven Project Management experience with a large General Contractor
* Substantial experience on large scale heavy civil projects(bridges, roads, highways, rail etc) is required
* Proven success in delivering high quality projects on time and on budget
* Experienced in liaising with clients, consultants, and management of site staff and subcontractors
* Be skilled in anticipating project needs with sufficient lead-time to avoid delays in production
* Experience in multiple procurement methodologies - Design Build/ PPP (P3) preferred
* Demonstrated negotiation skills and ability to represent all project matters on behalf of the Company and/or Joint Venture related to cost, schedule & contract matters with owner, partners and/or subcontractors
* Productivity tracking and monitoring for self-performed scopes
* Project cost forecasting experience
* Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal Executive Presentation Skills
* Proven ability to work through and overcome conflicts productively and while maintaining professionalism at all times
* Demonstrate an overriding commitment to health, safety and environmental responsibility
* Registration or eligibility to register as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) is an asset
* Position requires extensive travel to project sites
* Must be willing and able to relocate based on business needs and project assignments
* Ability to acquire, develop and retain talent through the various project cycles (start up, maintain, completion)
* Ability operate in a matrix organization
* Ability to lead a team
* Strategic and operational capabilities
Why work for us
Some of the benefits you may be eligible for as an employee are:
* Comprehensive compensation package and paid time off program
* Industry leading 401(k)/RRSP
* Medical/Extended Health Care, Dental, Vison and/or Provincial Medical
* Wellness benefits & Employee Assistance Program
* Tuition Reimbursement Program
We are an EEO/AA/ADA/Veterans employer.