Senior Financial Analyst / Manager
Employment Type: Full-Time
Scope of Responsibilities
This person will be a member of the Clinical Business Operations and Finance department. The Senior Financial Analyst or Manager will assist the Clinical Operations organization in a wide variety of tasks and projects to facilitate better financial decision making. This individual will manage the financial reporting and analysis of one or more of our product lines and the scope of the development cycle will range from pre-clinical to phase-1 trial through phase-3 trials.
They will partner with the clinical operations teams to develop monthly accruals, budgets and forecasts, and will work with the finance team to provide actual vs. budget/forecast spending analyses. They will also work closely with members of the Clinical Contracts & Outsourcing (CC&O) team to prepare financial approval requests for submission to the Chief Medical Officer (CMO), VPs in the Clinical Development/ Operations organization and the CEO.
They will help maintain business operations and promote Clinical Operations metrics reports that will be provided to senior management. They will be involved in ad hoc analysis as needed.
The position reports to Senior Manager of Clinical Business Operations and Finance.
* Supports the monthly CRO and Clinical Service Providers' accrual process.
* Partner closely with R&D Finance to meet ad-hoc monthly close activities (i.e., meeting prep, ad-hoc analysis etc.)
* Provide input to clinical development plans including clinical trial financial modeling.
* Collaborate with Clinical Project Teams to create enrollment assumptions, clinical study budgets and clinical study forecasts to ensure financial estimate/spend harmonize with project timelines.
* Support monthly clinical trial reporting activities including study enrollment, work completed to date, current and estimated budget spend, study budget projections for new studies, etc.
* Support Quarterly Variance Analysis process for CROs and clinical Service Providers' contracts.
* Participate in the preparation and presentation of internal reports to management and other various business end users.
* Support Purchase Order management and contract/account reconciliation
* Support quarterly external auditor reviewers and annual audits.
* Support CROs and clinical Service Providers' financial-related matter/issues including invoice issues.
* Actively support and participate in developing Clinical Business Operations and Finance processes and procedures, Budgeting and forecasting for clinical trials, • Analysis of contract terms and rates, Reporting of actual costs vs. budgeted amounts, Supporting the monthly accrual process
Benchmarking reports for clinical operations metrics, and helping with coding of invoices as needed
Additional projects will vary from creating policies and procedures to building tools and systems to better forecast costs or pay vendors. This role will work closely with the business and gain a thorough understanding of the clinical trial process. There will be some monthly close activities.
* A BS/BA degree is required. MS is preferable.
* Former life science/clinical trial experience is required. Minimum 5 years in biotech/pharma clinical research industry.
* At least 5 years in Clinical Finance experience, R&D FP&A and/or accounting, finance or business analysis role
* Strong understanding of clinical trial accruals, forecasting and budget modeling.
* Strong understanding of the drug development process and the cross-functional responsibilities including clinical trial design, study start-up and execution, site management, safety reporting, data management, and biometrics.
* Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills to be able to engage with all levels both within FibroGen and entities and with our CRO and clinical service providers.
* Forward-thinking and creative with high ethical standards.
* Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with drug development professionals.
* Strong problem-solving skills.
* Ability to lead and manage cross-functional initiatives from concept to completion.
* Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Excel required. Other ERP or budging systems experience a plus.
* Be a team player who works very well with others, a problem-solver with strong work ethics, flexible and respectful, energetic and able to work under pressure, attentive to details
FibroGen is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender identity/expression, creed, national origin/ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship, status, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.FibroGen will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
E-Verify: Notice to all Prospective Employees
Notice to Recruiters and Search Firms
FibroGen makes every effort to source and hire its staff through direct recruitment methods. Employment opportunities at FibroGen are managed by our internal human resources team. Please do not contact hiring managers or other FibroGen employees.
FibroGen does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than from the candidates themselves. FibroGen does not accept unsolicited communications from external recruiters. If there is a specific business need, a human resources team member will contact external recruiters directly.
An agency or independent recruiter must have a current, signed agreement and a work order for a specific position with FibroGen before presenting candidates and must be presented to human resources. Submission of unsolicited resumes without a signed agreement and an applicable work order will not create an obligation on the part of FibroGen to pay a fee of any kind.