Data Scientist, Operations Research
Employment Type: Full-Time
You can submit up to three job applications every 90 days. Be sure to apply for roles that strongly match your skills and work experience.
In this role, your primary responsibility will be to partner with key stakeholders and lead strategic analysis to support and enable the continued growth critical to Facebook's Data Center organization. As we plan to grow our Data Center organization, we need to leverage data to drive decisions and introduce automation, predictability & optimization to allow us to operate efficiently and reliably at scale. Our data scientist team identifies business problems and solves them by using various numerical techniques, algorithms, and models in Operations Research, Data Science, and Data Mining. You will have the opportunity to work on a broad spectrum of areas such as Supply Chain Optimization, Inventory & Capacity Planning, Process Design & Optimization, Financial Modeling and Demand Forecasting. The ideal candidate will have a passion for working in white space and creating impact from the ground up in a fast-paced environment. Additionally, you will have a proven track record of thought leadership and impact in developing similar analytics and metrics based programs.
Data Scientist, Operations Research Responsibilities
* Architect and build pragmatic, scalable, and statistically rigorous solutions for data center infrastructure problems by leveraging or developing state-of-the-art optimization methodologies on top of Facebook's unparalleled data infrastructure.
* Applying Mathematical modeling (OR), statistical modeling, & AI algorithms to large-scale distributed systems, scheduling systems, and physical infrastructure planning & management.
* Partner with internal stakeholders on projects to identify and articulate opportunities, see beyond the data to identify solutions that will raise the bar for decision making.
* Collaborate with cross-functional data and product teams across business applications to access and manipulate data, explain data gathering requirements, display results, and build efficient and scalable analytics solutions.
* Recommend and drive process changes based on robust analysis of operational data and user behavior to improve overall business performance.
* Architect, build and maintain data driven Mathematical models, experiments, forecasting algorithms, and optimization models.
* Mentor others as needed on best practices for design and implementation of cutting-edge analytics solutions.
* Communicate final recommendations and drive decision making.
* MS in a quantitative field such as Operations Research, Computer Science, Quantitative Finance, Math, Physics or a related Engineering degree
* Knowledge of Statistics & Probability (e.g. Hypothesis testing, Regression, Stochastic modeling, Markov Chains etc.)
* 5+ years experience in building models, new frameworks and developing algorithms for statistical modeling, mathematical programming (OR) and simulation in industry and/or academia
* 5+ years experience in modeling and analyzing large-scale structured and unstructured data using Python or R
* Experience writing testable code and shipping code into production
* 5+ years experience with algorithms and optimizations using solvers such as CPLEX/Gurobi/Xpress or related tools
* 5+ years experience in SQL and data modeling
* PhD in Operations Research or Industrial Engineering
* Knowledge and experience in building machine learning models in industry
* Familiarity with object-oriented programming languages (such as C++ or Java) and visualization tools (such as Tableau)
* Experience working with or in support of diverse communities
About the Facebook company
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable support (called accommodations) in our recruiting processes for candidates with disabilities, long term conditions, mental health conditions or who are neurodivergent, and to candidates with sincerely held religious beliefs or requiring pregnancy related support. If you need support, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.