Manager, New Media Developer Group
Employment Type: Full-Time
New Media exhibit developers at the Exploratorium use established and emerging technologies to conceptualize, prototype, and implement robust interactive exhibits for the museum floor as well as for client institutions, domestic and abroad.
The New Media (NM) Developer Group Manager is responsible for her or his own exhibit development projects as well as for providing leadership and guidance to the NM Developer group, and for fostering a cohesive, creative, and inclusive working environment, maximizing the group's inventiveness, technical proficiency, and productivity. The manager will facilitate staff assignments, set expectations for staff, and evaluate performance, assuring that the team's new media exhibit development meets consistently high standards, and which sustains and enhances the Exploratorium's role as an innovative leader in science, arts, and education. This position reports to the Director of Exhibits.
* Supervise a team of New Media developers:
* Set overall expectations and standards for high-quality NM exhibit development and support team to meet them; provide timely and actionable feedback
* Support staff in setting priorities among conflicting project demands
* Coach and mentor individual staff, provide the resources and opportunities to promote their ongoing professional development
* Make recommendations for staff assignments on projects
* Coordinate with peer managers, project directors, and project managers to resolve workload and performance issues
* Provide leadership and collaboration in the development of best practices for new media exhibit development, coding, and new media hardware within Exploratorium exhibits.
* Participate in Shop Leadership Group; represent and advocate for NM developer team in this context. Work closely with Director of Exhibits and peer shop managers to create and sustain a positive and productive shop culture where staff can achieve creative, high-quality, high-impact work.
* Following institutional DEI leadership and in partnership with other shop managers, facilitate team discussions and learning around diversity, equity, and inclusion to drive forward DEI institutional priorities within the shop. Participate in institutional- and department-led trainings around DEI and other related issues.
* Directly contribute to projects as a new media exhibit developer.
* Additional duties as assigned.
* BA/BS Degree in Computer Science, Interaction Design, Human Computer Interaction (HCI) or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
* Eight years' professional experience in Digital Media or related field
* Two years' demonstrated leadership or supervisory experience, particularly in an R&D or non-profit environment
* Experience working collaboratively on project teams, including with researchers and outside specialists, in a complex, creative environment
* Demonstrated proficiency across a wide variety of software, hardware, programming languages, web, and multimedia production tools, such as:
* Languages: Processing, Java, MAX/MSP/Jitter, C++, OpenFrameworks, Objective C
* Mobile development tools: Android, iOS
* Data visualization tools: R, RStudio, Tableau
* Hardware: Arduino, basic electronics, circuit design, circuit design software (Eagle/ExpressPCB), as well as audio/visual hardware (projectors, monitors, etc).
* Demonstrated rapid prototyping, troubleshooting, and technical problem-solving abilities
* Some fluency in issues around diversity, inclusion, and access
* Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
* Highly organized and detail-oriented
* Tactful and diplomatic; graceful under pressure
* Track record of creative problem-solving
PREFERRED ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
* Experience installing and maintaining computer systems and kiosks in museums or other public spaces
* Knowledge of inquiry-based educational approaches
* Experience developing novel physical computer interfaces
* Knowledge and experience with the use of new media in the arts community
This position is open until filled
HOW TO APPLY
This is a regular, full-time (37.5 hours per week), exempt position that includes benefits. Please, no phone calls in regards to this job. To apply, please visit the Exploratorium job page.
The Exploratorium is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity, inclusion and respect. We welcome and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.