VP Public Relations
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations
We are seeking a talented VP, Public Relations to be an expert at developing strategic, integrated, and holistic communication plans to promote COMPANY’s thought leadership status and increase visibility as a payments partner for credit unions as well as set the external voice of the company. The person in this role will be a content creator and storyteller who can write and implement a comprehensive proactive media and public relations program. The VP, Public Relations will bring strong writing, visuals, and passion to tell the impactful story of COMPANY and the credit union movement.
What You Can Look Forward to
- Recruit and manage PR team to support the development and execution of the communications strategy.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
- Leads development and execution of the public relations strategy that is inclusive of all business functions and key leaders.
- Working closely with the VP Corporate Communications - integrates with cross-functional leaders across the company to provide strategic and tactical corporate communications support. Drives an integrated and organic social media strategy across multiple platforms.
- Consistently incorporates the voice, vision, mission, and shared values of COMPANY.
- Create a media relations engagement strategy and planned roster of storylines and releases/placed stories that work in concert with content plan — finding compelling stories that build the brand and deepen client relations.
- Builds relationships with target banking and business media.
- Effectively manages contract resources to maximize value and impact on a regional and national. Tracks results and utilizes data to further enhance and transform the communications strategy.
- Creates and manages the execution of an EMT communications strategy to position EMT SMEs as business (credit union, payments and fintech) thought leaders; researches, fields and manages speakership opportunities for key leadership on credit union, payments, CX, fintech topics.
- Develops an editorial calendar inclusive of business and trade media interviews and thought leadership opportunities.
- Manages the day-to-day workload and directs assignments of the Director, Public Relations
- Fosters a team environment that inspires innovative, creative thinking.
- Responsible for reporting risks that are identified to the appropriate team and/or management. Additionally, responsible for managing, monitoring and reporting risks within the scope of your work area, to include, but not limited to Information Security risks.
- Actively supports our COMPANY culture and embraces our core values of Work as Partners, Communicate Openly and Honestly, Demonstrate Excellence and Champion Change in all interactions.
What You’ll Need to Succeed
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required, an advanced degree is preferred.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in a senior management role either in-house or with an agency.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications and directories.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization's mission and goals.
- Knowledge of both B2C and B2B marketing communications strategies.
- In-depth experience pitching and placing earned media stories; deep understanding of media relations strategies and tactics.
- Integrated content marketing experience.
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills.
- Superior program management - skilled juggler who can execute multi-faceted campaigns flawlessly, and with a commitment to quality.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong communication and presentation skills (written & verbal) - with PowerPoint and brief writing capabilities.
- Adept in digital, integrated and traditional marketing, and highly skilled in visual communications.
- Experienced budget manager.
- Experienced personnel manager.
- Strategic thinking - ability to develop, clearly articulate, and sell complex marketing plans.
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Exceptional collaborator and influencer - ability to engage with multiple stakeholders and quickly build relationships needed to accomplish program objectives.
- Composed, professional and articulate.
- Highly motivated self-starter with a structured yet adaptable work-style - able to work well in a fast-paced team environment while having a focus on quality, and good attention to detail.
- Team player - willing to go the extra mile to deliver outstanding results for the business.
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media.
- Stature, gravitas, and confidence to gain the credibility and respect of high-performing Board of Directors.
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented.
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs.