Android Developer - ArcGIS StoryMaps
Employment Type: Full-Time
Join the ArcGIS StoryMaps team and help us build a new mobile-based digital storytelling tool with unprecedented mapping capabilities. Authors around the world use story maps to drive change, influence opinion, and create awareness with their stories, getting millions of page views a day.
You will work with designers and product engineers to design, build, and run a cutting-edge, native mobile application. You will be involved at every stage of product development, from brainstorming broad ideas to ensuring quality through launch. Using your full range of software development and product thinking skills, you will be responsible for delivering a stable and useful product that meets customer needs.
As a qualified candidate, you have a track record of contributing to successful outcomes for users and the business. You are a strong cross-functional partner and great communicator and are able to take a solution from idea to implementation. You uphold a high-quality bar, have a strong appreciation for details, and understand the value of clear communication. Above all, you approach problems holistically and create elegantly simple solutions to multi-faceted problems.
* Design and develop advanced features for the Android platform
* Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features
* Work with various remote data sources and APIs via REST and JSON
* Develop unit-testing code for robustness, including edge cases, usability, and general reliability
* Fix bugs and improve application performance
* Continuously discover, evaluate, prototype, and implement new and innovative technologies
* Maintain a strong emphasis on user experience for mobile app
* Participate in regular design and code reviews
* 2+ years of professional software development experience
* 1+ years of recent experience building native Android apps
* Robust knowledge of Java/Kotlin and the Android SDK
* Working knowledge of a source control and issue management system, preferably GitHub
* Working knowledge of the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends, and emerging technologies
* Ability to think creatively in problem-solving and debugging
* Bachelor's or master's in computer science, engineering, or mathematics, depending on position level
* A strong knowledge of algorithms, data structures, and object-oriented methodologies
* Prior experience building spatial/mapping applications or software components
* Experience with Android Jetpack libraries (viewmodel, livedata, paging, room) and AndroidX
* Experience with MVVM/MVI patterns
* Experience with security and/or native hardware components (GPS, camera, etc.)
* Familiarity with the any mapping SDK
* Exposure to the ArcGIS Online platform and ArcGIS REST API
* Have published at least one original Android app to the Play Store
Our passion for improving quality of life through geography is at the heart of everything we do. Esri's geographic information system (GIS) technology inspires and enables governments, universities, and businesses worldwide to save money, lives, and our environment through a deeper understanding of the changing world around them.
Carefully managed growth and zero debt give Esri stability that is uncommon in today's volatile business world. Privately held, we offer exceptional benefits, competitive salaries, 401(k) and profit-sharing programs, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and much more.
Esri is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.