Employment Type: Full-Time
University Mechanical & Engineering Contractors, Inc. is currently seeking individuals for a full-time position as Controller located in the San Diego, CA. area.
UMEC (CA) provides a full range of responsive mechanical and HVAC services, including plumbing, mechanical construction engineering, design/build services, and green building solutions designed to meet our clients' rigid specifications. 'University Mechanical is part of the EMCOR Group, Inc. named 2018's Number One World's Most Admired Company in the Engineering and Construction Industry by Fortune Magazine'
The Controller ensures that company goals and objectives are met by maintaining the integrity of the accounting and data processing systems and by ensuring that appropriate procedures and controls are in place to maintain compliance with GAAP, SEC, company and corporate reporting requirements.
The Controller may work with Human Resources on related business needs and will partner with other company managers to ensure a safe and healthy work environment for all employees. As necessary, may be required periodically to drive to the Anaheim Office or attend company events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Manage all operating unit assets including fixed assets and accounts receivable.
* Manage cash flow by coordinating timely collections with appropriate project managers and customers.
* Coordinate timely payments with suppliers and purchasing personnel.
* Prepare the company's financial reporting package and ancillary documentation timely and in accordance with applicable established policies and procedures.
* Coordinate and direct the preparation of annual budgets and quarterly re-forecasts.
* Manage all data processing operations to ensure timely and accurate reporting as required.
* Ensure financial and accounting functions, financial controls, and records meet all federal, state, local and company regulatory requirements.
* Partner with Estimating in the preparation of pre-qualification documents as needed and ensure that changes in labor rates, insurance rates and tax rates are communicated timely and accurately.
* Ensure executed contracts and all executed change orders, bond, certificate of insurance and applicable subcontracts are properly maintained.
* Review all credit applications or D&B reports on new and/or potential customers when conditions warrant.
* Review and approve payroll, purchase orders, accounts payable, expense vouchers and account adjustments.
* Participate and coordinate internal/external audits schedule and requirements.
* Monitor and analyze monthly overhead expenditures to justify and/or correct budget variances.
* Review and approve monthly HRIS reports to include Inter-Company Insurance Billings, 401(k) Contributions and FSA contributions.
* Manage and coordinate employee data in the company's HRIS including salary, bonus, benefits, 401(k), and FSA administration.
* Develop and strengthen business processes and internal controls.
* Lead and participate in special projects as needed.
* Comply with all company operating policies, procedures, and safety programs as established.
Plan, direct, coordinate and evaluate the activities and performance of direct reports, including payroll and accounting personnel.
Interacts with Senior Management, Operations Management and Project Teams, HR, Purchasing, IT departments, and the Corporate Accounting, Tax, Risk Management, HR & Treasury departments.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PREFERRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
* BA/BS degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Accounting or Business, five to seven years recent related experience and/or training; or an equivalent combination of education and construction experience. CPA desirable.
* Significant working knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing financial and accounting practices.
* Working knowledge of construction contract language and terms.
* Experience overseeing and leading human resources, safety and risk functions is desirable.
* Experience overseeing employee benefits administration desirable.
* P&L responsibility for $150-$170 million in revenue desired.
* Significant experience with Microsoft Office (i.e., Outlook, Word, Excel) applications.
* Working knowledge of PC based job cost, general ledger and fixed asset systems.
* Working knowledge of Vista financial/payroll software helpful.
The requirements listed below are representative of characteristics and demonstrated capabilities sought to perform this job successfully.
* Must make sound decisions and produce accurate and timely results.
* Must be a self-motivated hands-on manager, able to work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment.
* Must exhibit confidence in self and others, inspire and motivate team to perform well and effectively influence the actions of others.
* Must monitor and analyze information and solve problems on a strategic and tactical level.
* Must build positive working relationships with multiple levels of employee and management.
* Must demonstrate integrity and professionalism.
* Must demonstrate commitment to company values.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear; move within the office to retrieve files and meet with employees in their offices or conference room.
Able to work at a computer (reading and keying) for extended periods of time.
This role requires communicating verbally and in writing one-on-one, in small groups, as well as presenting to larger groups of employees.
We offer our employees a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package and are always looking for individuals with the talent and skills required to contribute to our continued growth and success. Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled