RN-Clinical Educator/Informaticist - Cardiac Service Line
Employment Type: Full-Time
* Job Objective: A brief overview of the position.
* The Clinical Educator/Informaticist role is multi-faceted. Provides on unit and department specific education to nursing staff. Provides informal and formal education to nursing staff. Assists with Joint Commission education to staff. Assists Clinical Directors and Clinical Managers in ensuring staff competency, ongoing skills assessment, and opportunities for growth.
* Reports to
* Cardiac Service Line Administrator
* Ages of Patients
* Neonate/ Infant
* Blood Borne Pathogens
* High Potential
* Required: BSN
* Preferred: MSN
* Required: California RN License; American Heart Association BLS
* Required: 3-5 years nursing in acute hospital setting.
* Preferred: Clinical educator experience
* Essential Responsibilities
* Demonstrates compliance with Code of Conduct and compliance policies, and takes action to resolve compliance questions or concerns and report suspected violations.
* Utilizes nursing process (assessment, planning, implementation, evaluation and outcomes identification).
* Oversees and coordinates Nursing Education of assigned area:
* Coordinates orientation program for new hires and transfers within the nursing division.
* Develops/coordinates education plans associated with competency validation.
* Develops/coordinates education to address populations served on assigned units.
* Develops/coordinates education to facilitate the development of the bedside nurse leader.
* Assesses, plans, implements and maintains materials for educational programs and makes changes as needed to keep material accurate, relevant and current for target audience.
* Evaluates effectiveness of educational programs.
* Incorporates the principles of adult learning in the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of educational programs.
* Teaches effectively and uses dynamic and unique approaches to engage target audience.
* Coordinates and provides courses and classes that promote staff development and competence.
* Utilizes feedback from physicians, directors, nursing staff and other disciplines to develop education plans for areas assigned.
* Identifies and recruits resources (both internal and external) for educational offerings.
* Ensures educational programs are in alignment with the mission, values and goals of EMC.
* Acts as educational consultant:
* Participates in the development of education for regulatory requirements and the management of critical events.
* Responds to needs across medical center to promote quality patient care and safety.
* Collaborates with medical staff and other disciplines on programs to facilitate excellence in patient care utilizing the Relationship-Based Care Model.
* Consults with staff to promote professional development with career pathway or as requested by staff/leadership.
* Conducts Nursing Research:
* Supports the integration of research into nursing practice.
* Incorporates, interprets and communicates research findings into program plans
* Responds to changes in nursing practice and develops programs to support them
* Promotes activities that encourage staff professional development
* Integrates ethical principles as defined by the ANA Code of Ethics in all aspects of practice.
* Assists with recruitment and retention of nursing staff. Facilitates programs based on hospital needs in relation to recruitment.
* Engages in development of and support for budget goals.
* Provides information, interpretation and guidance to nurses regarding Informatics:
* Serves as a resource and liaison for the documentation, implementation, design and continuous maintenance of clinical information systems.
* Serves as content expert for electronic applications for areas served.
* Assists and supports system implementations and the roll out of new applications and system enhancements.
* Provides guidance in the use of clinical information systems.
* Reviews clinical information system related to areas served for content updates for nursing practice and regulatory requirements.
* Teaches informatics classes for orientation and implementation of new applications.
* Serves as super-user for electronic applications appropriate to assigned areas.
* Assists with monitoring and education within the clinical specialty to ensure quality care and quality outcomes are met in a cost-effective manner.
* Performs other duties as assigned.