Employment Type: Part-Time
We are currently accepting applications for full- or part-time legal externs in the San Francisco office for the fall or spring semester.
The California Regional office has undertaken campaigns to protect lands and wildlife, improve air and water quality, promote clean energy and transportation policies, and ensure that all state residents are protected from toxic substances. The San Francisco office currently has work focusing on clean energy, air quality, crude transport and oil and gas development, pesticide and other toxic exposure issues, water supply and quality, and impacts to imperiled fish and wildlife species. Our attorneys bring a mix of lawsuits under federal environmental laws such as the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, and Endangered Species Act, as well as California statutes like the California Environmental Quality Act, to protect the environment and promote healthy communities.
* Work with attorneys on case development and litigation.
* Under the supervision of an attorney, perform legal and factual research, and develop case strategy and legal theories.
* Assist attorneys with preparing briefs and motions and meet with clients and experts.
* Participate in moots of oral arguments, and attend court proceedings and conferences with opposing counsel.
* Currently enrolled in law school.
* Commitment of at least 16 hours a week.
* Interest in environmental protection or environmental justice is a plus.
Externs are unpaid, but can be awarded course credit for work with Earthjustice.
Interested candidates should submit the following materials.
* Cover letter explaining your interest in working for Earthjustice. Your cover letter should also clearly state (1) whether you are seeking a full or a part-time position, (2) the number of hours, or a reasonable estimate, you are available to work in our office, (3) whether you are applying for the fall semester, the spring semester, or both, and (4) confirmation that you can earn academic credit or participate as part of an academic fellowship with your law school.
* Unofficial law school transcript
* Recent writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum of no more than ten pages that primarily reflects your work
* List of three professional references
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, though we typically review applications for fall externships in June and July, and applications for spring externships in August and September. Applicants should indicate on their cover letter if they need a decision by a certain date.
Please note that this job posting for a legal externship does NOT cover summer positions; there is a separate application process for applicants interested in a summer clerkship with Earthjustice.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.