Patient Registration Rep
Employment Type: Full-Time
Saint Francis Memorial Hospital is an accredited, not-for-profit community hospital that has been providing exceptional health care in San Francisco for more than 100 years. As San Francisco's only downtown hospital, Saint Francis is uniquely situated to care for international and domestic visitors, as well as the residents that make up San Francisco's diverse population.We encourage employee participation at all levels to encourage growth and excellence. Known as the downtown hospital, Saint Francis boasts all private rooms and a friendly atmosphere. The hospital is renowned for orthopedics, with leading programs in sports medicine, joint replacement, spine care and occupational medicine. Saint Francis is also known for outstanding acute burn care, emergency medicine, acute rehabilitation and a nationally-honored cancer care program.
Reporting to and under the general direction of the Admitting Manager of Saint Francis Memorial Hospital, the Admitting Officer pre-registers and registers patients presenting at the hospital for inpatient and outpatient services. Conducts patient/guarantor interviews, explains hospital policies, patient financial responsibilities and patient's bill of rights. Facilitates the patient admission flow, including activities such as: patient identification, identification of accurate demographic and insurance information, and collection of required signatures and documents. Responsible for the verification and authorization of insurance benefits on all inpatient and outpatient accounts through electronic verification system or through contact with third party payors, in order to obtain accurate and prompt reimbursement. Checks eligibility, benefits, authorization requirements, PCP approval requirements, and billing requirements, as appropriate. Submits notices of admissions to payors, as needed. Provides information and answers questions about the Dignity Health Payment Assistance program. Collects co-payments, and other patient liabilities. Enters the financial/admissions and all necessary information into the hospital information computer systems. The Admitting officer will file, enter and/or distribute all such information regarding the patient that may be required by other departments within the hospital.
* A minimum of two years recent experience in Hospital Registration, and/or Admission procedures.
* Understanding of government commercial/managed care payers' requirements regarding verification of eligibility, benefits, and potential patient liabilities; working knowledge of hospital scheduling systems, and admissions/registration processes.
* A good working knowledge of medical terminology.
* Collection of thorough and accurate patient/insurance information with timely data entry into ADT system.
* Proven ability to interact with the public in a positive and caring manner, with a high degree of customer service skills.
* Must be detail-oriented and have good organizational skills.
* Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word and the Internet for on-line eligibility inquiry, and data entry.
* Must type 35 words per minute, and the ability to learn other software programs as needed.
* Maintains effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written. Ability to understand and carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
* College courses in Business Administration or Public Relations.
* Consistently and positively communicates and collaborates with colleagues, supervisors, and customers, both internal and external
* Efficiently and independently plans time, meets deadlines, initiates and follows through on tasks
* Listens respectfully and carefully, demonstrating flexibility in working with others
* Demonstrates sensitivity to people of different cultures and works effectively with them
* Meets attendance standards and uses timekeeping system accurately and consistently