Engineering Technician 4, Manufacturing Mechanical Engineering
Employment Type: Full-Time
Founded in 1999, Dexcom, Inc. (NASDAQ: DXCM), develops and markets Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) systems for ambulatory use by people with diabetes and by healthcare providers for the treatment of people with diabetes. The company is the leader in transforming diabetes care and management by providing CGM technology to help patients and healthcare professionals better manage diabetes. Since the company's inception, Dexcom has focused on better outcomes for patients, caregivers, and clinicians by delivering solutions that are best in class-while empowering the community to take control of diabetes. Dexcom reported full-year 2020 revenue of $1.9B, a growth of 30% versus 2019. Headquartered in San Diego, California, with additional offices in the U.S., Europe, and Asia Pacific, the company employs over 6,000 people worldwide.
Under the direction of the Sr. Manager of Mechanical Engineering, the Engineering Technician provides technical support to equipment engineers for the installation, documentation, troubleshooting, improvement, validation and transfer of custom automated equipment used in the scale-up of manufacturing for existing or new Dexcom products. These duties include supporting cross functional equipment development teams and activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Support new automation equipment development:
* Co-management of raw materials needed for debug/development
* Purchase requisition placement and tracking
* Drafting and coordinating engineering testing activities (Engineering Request documentation development and overseeing execution)
* Packaging, shipping coordination and tracking of components
* Update equipment related documentation (manuals, drawings, and specifications) as needed.
* Support engineering team with asset management work orders via Blue Mountain RAM
* General hands-on responsibilities:
* Works from schematics, diagrams, written and verbal descriptions, layouts or defined plans to perform testing, checkout and trouble-shooting functions.
* Test performance of electro-mechanical assemblies, using test equipment
* Operate, test, or maintain robotic equipment and vision systems
* Ability to perform equipment activities in equipment development under supervision of the project engineer. Activities including assembly and testing of equipment, fixtures, processes and/or electronics, completing engineering studies and validations
* Follow Dexcom's Safety and Lock Out/Tag out (LOTO) program
* Perform necessary setup activities on several types of automated and semi-automated equipment to ensure proper startup and operation
* Hands-on background experience and demonstrated expertise in manufacturing and automated manufacturing systems and robotics design and development.
* Technical writing skills and automation equipment validation experience as applied to manufacturing documentation and process development - experienced in the creation and revision of technical documentation.
* General knowledge and understanding of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 21 CFR 820 and International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
* Agency Compliance (General knowledge) - Familiar with general UL, CSA, and CE requirements.
* Familiarity with product safety and EMC compliance.
* Familiarity with the OSHA safety and ergonomics compliance.
* Ability to influence, motivate, and accomplish results through peers and junior level engineers.
* Able to organize and prioritize assignments providing direction to and participation in assigned functional teams.
* Ability to represent functional and operations organization with clarity and manage conflict resolution in wide variety of settings.
* Supports and drives change management within functional group.
Experience and Education
* Typically requires a minimum of 6-8 years of related experience and High School diploma/certificate or equivalent.
* Associates degree or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school with equipment, processes and/or electronics related curriculum
* Medical device or regulated industry experience preferred
* Knowledge of high reliability, high volume manufacturing equipment and processes
* Experienced in the creation and revision of technical documentation.
* Lean Six Sigma or Six Sigma training and certification is a plus
* Experience with custom automated manufacturing equipment
Travel Required: 0 - 25%
Supports engineering activities such as design, test, check-out, modification, fabrication and assembly of prototype electro mechanical systems, experimental design circuitry, laser/light transmission devices or specialized test equipment. Applications may include electronic circuits, photonics and logic systems. Works from schematics, diagrams, written and verbal descriptions, layouts or defined plans to perform testing, checkout and trouble-shooting functions. Performs operational test and fault isolation on systems and equipment. Assists in determining methods or actions to remedy malfunctions. Assists in the design, construction, test and check-out of test equipment. Uses manufacturing, test, development or diagnostic equipment, including, but not limited to, test programs, oscilloscopes, signal generators and specialized test apparatus.
* Complete understanding of the aspects of the job.
* Applies high level of knowledge to complete a wide range of tasks that normally requires time management skills.
* Work at this level requires following established practices.
* May independently plan own work, referring only unusual cases to supervisor.
* Frequent contact with employees at all levels within the company.
* Understands implications of work and makes recommendations for solutions.
* Assignments are complex in nature where judgment and initiative is required in resolving problems and making recommendations.
* Thoroughness and reliability are essential as errors would result in a possibility for loss and normally affect other groups.
Language Skills: Must be able to communicate effectively in English. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. May be required to perform the following Physical Activity: Standing, walking, sitting, using hands, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear, taste or smell. May be required to lift 0 lbs. to over 100 lbs.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. May be exposed to the following environmental conditions: Wet or humid conditions, work near moving parts, work in high - precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outdoor weather conditions, extreme heat (non-weather), extreme cold (non-weather), risk of electric shock, work with explosives, risk of radiation, vibration. The noise level in this work environment can range from quiet to very loud.
* The Workplace Type for this role is Assigned Desk. Based on the nature of your role you will have an assigned desk or office located at a Dexcom site and should plan to be onsite approximately 4-5 days per week.
The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Management may, at its discretion, assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The duties and responsibilities in this job description may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact Dexcom Talent Acquisition at email@example.com.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Dexcom's AAP may be viewed upon request by contacting Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org.
View the OFCCP's Pay Transparency Non Discrimination Provision at this link.