Veterans Service Representative

Employment Type

: Full-Time


: Miscellaneous

* Duties Help Duties Summary This position is located in the Department of Veterans Affairs, Regional Office (VARO).The incumbent serves as a Veterans Service Representative (Authorizer) for the Benefit Eligibility Support Team (BEST) Division at the San Diego Regional Office. Learn more about this agency Responsibilities * Serving as a team mentor to lower-graded VSRs providing a comprehensive level of technical advice and guidance on authorization issues within all claim cycles. * The VSR (Authorizer) has final signature authority to rate and award, terminate, amend, or disallow benefits on unusually complex claims. * Analyzes, develops, and requests required evidence for claims not requiring a rating decision. * Makes determinations on questions relating to adequacy of military service, of medical evidence and lay testimony to establish a claim. * Evaluates evidence of income, net worth, employability, dependency and relationship. * Develops methods for mentoring members of the team on technical aspects of the job in a manner which addresses individual learning needs and effectively offers feedback to identify and correct deficient areas Work Schedule: Full time, Monday through Friday 7:00am-3:30pm Compressed/Flexible: Available Telework: Available Virtual: This is not a virtual position. Position Description/PD#: Veterans Service Representative (Authorizer), 02105A Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized Financial Disclosure Report: Not required Travel Required Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position. Supervisory status No Promotion Potential None * Job family (Series) 0996 Veterans Claims Examining * Requirements Help Requirements Conditions of Employment * You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job * Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959 * You may be required to serve a probationary period * Subject to background/security investigation * Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process Qualifications To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 05/17/2021. 1. TIME-IN-GRADE REQUIREMENT: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement. * For a GS-11 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-10 level. The grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. 2. MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: This section includes questions about your qualifications for this position. In addition to the Time-In-Grade requirements above (if applicable), applicants must ALSO meet the minimum qualification requirements in order to be referred to management. GS-11 Grade Level: * Specialized Experience: One (1) year of Specialized Experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level (GS-10), in the normal line of progression for this occupation. Specialized Experience is defined as experience in compensation and/or pension programs reviewing disability evaluations and/or ratings. This includes applying federal, state, and local laws regarding benefit programs in order to conduct interviews, gather evidence, adjudicate claims, and discuss results and answer questions with claimants. Examples include: * Understanding and interpreting medical reports, and other medical evidence to include expert opinions; * Evaluating medical evidence and allegations while drawing sound conclusions; * Collaborating with Veteran Service Representatives, Decisions Review Officers, or other individuals necessary to assure proper decisions are made * Education Substitution: Applicants may substitute the following for Specialized Experience. Masters education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work, as described in the 'How You Will Be Evaluated' section of this announcement. * Ph.D or equivalent doctoral degree; * Three full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to such a degree; or * LL.M, if related to the duties of this position * Equivalent combinations of Specialized Experience and Graduate Education: To compute, divide your total months of qualifying experience by 12. Then divide your semester hours of graduate education beyond two years by 18. Add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100 to qualify. Masters education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work, as described in the 'How You Will Be Evaluated' section of this announcement. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment. Physical Requirements: The work normally involves mental rather than physical exertion. The work is mostly sedentary; however, there may be some walking, standing, and carrying of light items. For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at http://:// Education A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education. Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:

Launch your career - Create your profile now!

Create your Profile