Employment Type: Full-Time
The San Diego VA Health Care System is currently recruiting one (1) Supervisory Program Analyst (Informatics) in the Clinical Informatics Service in San Diego, CA. The incumbent will lead and/or manage to improve the quality, efficiency, and effectiveness of health care by integrating clinical and information processes necessary to achieve successful adoption and application of new technologies throughout the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) San Diego Healthcare System.
Learn more about this agency
Duties include but are not limited to:
* Oversee daily operation i.e. ensure agency policies and/or priorities are being followed, develop performance standards, and evaluate work performance of subordinates.
* Gives advice, counsel, and/or instruction to employees on both work and administrative matters.
* Interviews candidates for positions e.g. recommends appointments, promotions, and reassignments to unit positions.
* Explain performance expectations to employees and/or provides regular feedback on strengths and weaknesses.
* Hold employees responsible for satisfactory completion of work assignments.
* Promotes an environment in which employees are empowered to participate in and contribute to effective mission accomplishment.
* Serves as the knowledge expert for the electronic health record and associated clinical software providesusers and staff with consultative support and education.
* Knowledge of the electronic health record and associated clinical software by providing users and staff with consultative support and education.
* Consult, advise, and educate all levels of employees including the highest levels of management, on methods and means to make health care operations more effective and/or efficient.
* Integrates knowledge of clinical information processes to achieve successful adoption and application of new technologies to support health care operations and/or systems.
* Provide relevant clinical and/or administrative data to identify, quantify, and resolve organizational problems.
* Identify end-user educational requirements and/or training needs i.e. develop educational programs, instructional materials and appropriate tools to educate the all users of the organization.
* Integrate software applications for clinical services e.g. evaluating the unique needs of the clinical services, reviewing the effectiveness of the systems and procedures to assure optimum benefit to patient care activities, and troubleshooting when functionality is compromised by determining the cause of and/or the solution to the problem.
* Guide the evolution of clinical software and processes using creative and/or well-developed interpersonal skills to achieve effective communication with the end users, Office of Information and Technology (OI&T), and management.
Work Schedule: Full-time, Monday through Friday (7:00am - 3:30pm)
Telework: Ad Hoc telework may be available to highly qualified candidates
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Program Analyst (Informatics)/PD13337O
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
* Job family (Series)
0343 Management And Program Analysis
* Analysts, Management
* Analysts, Program
* Management Analysts
* Program Analysts
* Program Management Analyst
Conditions of Employment
* You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
* Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
* Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
* You may be required to serve a probationary period
* Subject to background/security investigation
* Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 07/22/2021.
Time-In-Grade Requirement: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement. For a GS-13 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-12. The grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. If the most recent SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you possess one-year time-in-grade, as required by the announcement. In this instance, you must provide an additional SF-50 that clearly demonstrates one-year time-in-grade.
Note: Time-In-Grade requirements also apply to former Federal employees applying for reinstatement as well as current employees applying for Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) appointment.
You may qualify based on your experience as described below:
* Specialized Experience: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade GS-12 in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to: Assign work to subordinates based needs of the service and evaluate work performance. Give advice, counsel, or instructions to employees on work and administrative matters. Expert knowledge in the use of Electronic Health Records (EHR) in general, VA Computerized Patient Record System (CPRS)and the Veterans Health Information Systems and Technology Architecture (VistA) and their architecture, file structure and clinical software package. Practical knowledge and skills sufficient to configure, modify and optimize Electronic Health Records for usability optimization within facility; knowledge to provide expert and professional Health Informatics consulting services and to develop and deliver appropriate Health Informatics educational and training programs to all levels of employees, internal and external to the VA. Thorough in-depth knowledge of the clinical environment, including practices, procedures, policies, strengths, and weaknesses is required, in conjunction with the mastery of both professional fields of Health Informatics and Data Analytics.
You will be rated on the following Competencies for this position:
* Administration and Management
* Data Management
* Managing Human Resources
* Systems Integration
* Technology Awareness
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
Physical Requirements: The work is usually sedentary, but it requires periods of walking, standing, bending, or climbing, and employees may carry light items such as books, instruments, laptops, and other similar materials.
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/.
There is no educational substitution at this grade level.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.