Licensed Vocational/Practical Nurse
Employment Type: Full-Time
The VISN 22 VA Desert Pacific Healthcare Network is seeking Licensed Vocational / Practical Nurses to assist in the COVID-19 pandemic. This is a temporary position NTE 120 days. Full-time, Part-time, and intermittent/PRN opportunities!
Learn more about this agency
The LVN / LPN provides care to patients with the goal of promotion and/or maintenance of health and/or prevention of illness and injury based upon the nursing process which includes performing services requiring technical, manual and basic assessment (data collection) skills. The LVN / LPN participates in evaluating, planning and executing interventions in accordance with the concept of good nursing care and per the patient's treatment plan.
This position will support the Federal Government's response efforts to COVID-19.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
* Provides nursing care and administers medications and treatments to patients with complex nursing problems.
* Appropriately uses the nursing process to plan and implement nursing care.
* Effectively provides care for patients' needs related to their age and limitations. Provides lifestyle screening and health promotion through completion of clinical reminders as appropriate.
* Identifies and solves problems related to patient care or unit issues.
* Provides additional patient education materials/resources from VA-Sanctioned media.
* Correctly and safely performs cleaning of reusable medical equipment (RME).
* Recognizes changes in patients' condition and deviations from baseline that require intervention and responds appropriately.
* Accurately completes documentation related to patient status, nursing care, and patient teaching.
* Documents communication of relevant issues with appropriate healthcare team members.
* Resolves complaints and concerns effectively and promptly with guidance as needed.
* Communicates a positive and unified message to employees, internal and external stakeholders and customers.
* Ensures information, including requests for data and special projects is provided within established deadlines.
* Performs self-assessment and identifies personal and professional learning needs with minimal guidance.
* Provides blood drawing / Phlebotomy services
* Effectively organize patient care demands and prioritize competing tasks
Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Can be Full time (40 hours a week), Part-time, or Intermittent with various schedules depending on needs of facility.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
* Job family (Series)
0620 Practical Nurse
* Licensed Practical And Licensed Vocational Nurses
* Licensed Practical Nurses
* Licenses Vocational Nurses
* Nurses, Licensed Practical
Conditions of Employment
* You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
* Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
* Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
* You may be required to serve a probationary period
* Subject to a background/security investigation
* Must be proficient in written and spoken English
* Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
* Must pass pre-employment physical
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
* Citizenship. United States Citizenship
* English Language. Proficiency in written and spoken English.
* Licensure. Full, active, current and unrestricted licensure as a licensed practical or vocational nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or District of Columbia. An LPN/LVN who has or has ever had, any license(s) revoked, suspended, denied, restricted, limited, or issued/placed in a probationary status may be appointed only in accordance with the provisions in chapter 3, section B, paragraph 16 of this part.
* Education. Graduate of a school of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State agency and/or accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Verification can be obtained from the State approving agency or the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission, 61 Broadway, 33rd Floor, New York, NY 10006. Additional information may also be obtained from the NLNAC Website. Exceptions include:
* Health care education in the military service or training in the military service which is accepted by the licensing body in the jurisdiction in which the individual is licensed as qualifying for full LPN/LVN licensure will be accepted as meeting the education requirements for VHA employment.
* VHA employees who were converted to appointments under 38 U.S.C. 7401(3) implementation of Public Law 98-160, enacted November 21, 1983, and for VHA employees converted to appointments under 38 U.S.C. 7405 in implementation of Public Law 99-576, enacted October 28,1986; and for their future personnel actions under this authority. The waiver will not apply to persons appointed under 38 U.S.C. 7401(3) or 7405 after these conversions.
* Individuals granted a license by a jurisdiction that does not require graduation from an approved school.
* GS-3 Experience: None beyond the basic requirements above. LPNs at this grade level are expected to perform all duties within the scope of their license (e.g., medication administration); however, completed work may require routine or detailed higher level review depending upon the complexity of the duties involved.
* GS-4 Experience/Education: Six months of qualifying experience as an LPN or LVN or
* Education: Graduation from an approved school of at least 24 months duration.
* Combined Education & Experience: Graduation from an approved school and one year of experience that involved nursing care work in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other supervised medical, nursing, or patient care facility that provided a practical knowledge of human body structure and sterile techniques and procedures.
* GS-5 Experience: Completion of at least 1 year of qualifying experience at the next lower level (GS-4). Additionally an LPN as this level will be able to demonstrate: knowledge and ability to provide a full range of practical nursing care to patients with a variety of physical and/or behavioral problems; demonstrated ability to serve as a responsible member of the nursing team and interact in an appropriate manner with patients, family members, professional and other supportive personnel involved in the delivery of patient care, incorporating acceptable, established customer service standards into practice; knowledge and skill sufficient to prepare, administer, and appropriately document actions taken specific to commonly prescribed oral, topical, subcutaneous, intramuscular, and/or intravenous medications as permitted by approved local facility policies and procedures. Observation and documentation will include patient's response to medication administered and the reporting of any noted change in patient's condition to RN or MD/DO; knowledge and ability to recognize the need for and to institute emergency measures when indicated, promptly seek the assistance of the RN or MD/DO, and assist in resuscitation procedures in cardiac and/or pulmonary arrest; recognizes and appropriately responds to breakage/malfunction or loss of equipment, safety hazards, and supply deficiencies, promptly reporting to appropriate personnel for corrective action; completed work is under the general supervision of an RN or MD/DO. Individuals at this grade level are expected to have a broad working knowledge of practical nursing procedures. However, completion of more complex practices or procedures may be subject to closer higher-level review.
* GS-6 Experience: Completion of at least one (1) year of additional qualifying experience at the GS-5 level or equivalent, fully meeting all performance requirements for the GS-5 LPN/LVN. LPN must be technically proficient in initiating, performing and completing assigned duties in providing car to variable patient populations; Possess knowledge and ability to appropriately carry out assigned patient care based on the patients' conditions; to use judgment in selecting the appropriate order and sequence of procedures and treatments; Ability to observe, identify and respond to the patient's needs; Prepares and administers prescribed medications (oral, topical, subcutaneous, intramuscular and/or intravenous) and performs treatments according to established policies/procedures; Knowledge and ability to recognize urgent or emergent patient care situations; Knowledge and understanding of human behavior, patient motivations and reactions to situations.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-06. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-03 to GS-06.
References: VA Handbook 5005 Part II Appendix G13, Licensed Practical or Vocational Nurse Qualification Standard
Physical Requirements: Moderate lifting (up to 44 pounds); Moderate carrying (up to 44 pounds); Straight pulling and pushing; reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; both hands required; walking, kneeling and standing up to 1.5 hours; repeated bending; both legs required; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13' to 16' to 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; both eyes required; depth perception; ability to distinguish basic colors; ability to distinguish shades of colors; Hearing (aid permitted).
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.