Employment Type: Full-Time
About the Position: Serves as the Chief, Military Design Branch and is responsible for the technical sufficiency of designs and engineering prepared by government personnel and contract architecture-engineering firms for the military and Interagency and International Support (IIS) construction program of the district.
NOTE: Recruitment incentives, including student loan repayment, may be offered to highly qualified candidates.
Learn more about this agency
* Directs and coordinates the work efforts of over 75 subordinate positions through six section supervisory positions and an assistant Branch Chief.
* Reviews directives authorizing the design and construction of military projects.
* Makes decisions on controversial questions arising in connection with the technical aspects of design in the fields of architecture, electrical, mechanical, structural, and civil engineering.
* Plans work to be accomplished and coordinates work of subordinate supervisors.
* Serves as the deciding official with the authority to approve or disapprove the full range of personnel actions recommended by subordinate supervisors.
* Collaborates with the supervisor and other officials of higher echelons, as well as own level in planning and developing the program activities and in the formulation of overall policies for the accomplishment of the work.
* Participates in conferences at Division and Branch levels to establish schedules, budgets, operating policies and procedures, and to identify problem areas.
Occasional travel - Business Travel (TDY) is approximately 20% of the time.
* Job family (Series)
0810 Civil Engineering
0830 Mechanical Engineering
0850 Electrical Engineering
* Architectural Engineers
* Civil Engineers
* Construction Engineers
* Electrical Engineers
* Engineers, Architectural
* Engineers, Civil
Conditions of Employment
* Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
* This position requires you to submit a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE450) upon entry, and annually thereafter.
* Must obtain and maintain a valid state issued driver's license.
Position may be filled under one of the following position titles:
* Supervisory Architect (0808)
* Supervisory Civil Engineer (0810)
* Supervisory Mechanical Engineer (0830)
* Supervisory Electrical Engineer (0850)
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
* Current Department of Army Civilian Employees
* Current Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) Civilian Employee (non-Army)
* Domestic Defense Industrial Base/Major Range and Test Facilities Base Civilian Personnel Workforce
* Executive Order (E.O.) 12721
* Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
* Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act
* Military Spouses, under Executive Order (E.O.) 13473
* Non-Department of Defense (DoD) Transfer
* Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Interchange Agreement Eligible
* People with Disabilities, Schedule A
* Postal Service/Peace Corps and Other Unique Authorities
* Priority Placement Program, DoD Military Spouse Preference (MSP) Eligible
* Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Requirement for Engineer:
Please refer to the General Schedule Qualification Standards Basic Requirements for Engineering Series for education requirements. (NOTE: Applicants MUST submit/upload a copy of the transcripts with the application package. For application purposes, unofficial transcripts are acceptable.)
Basic Educational Requirement for Architecture:
Please refer to the General Schedule Qualification Standards Basic Requirements for Architecture Series for education requirements. (NOTE: Applicants MUST submit/upload a copy of the transcripts with the application package. For application purposes, unofficial transcripts are acceptable.)
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes experience performing engineering management skills related to the technical design of military and Interagency and International Support (IIS) projects, to include all phases of engineering incident to the design of the construction program for Army and Air Force facilities, ammunition plants, depots, arsenals, military family housing and other defense installations. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-12).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Selective Placement Factor: This position requires the possession of a current Professional Engineer or Professional Architect license, issued by any State in the United States, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
* Ability to lead or supervise
* Engineering and Technology
* Oral Communication
* Project Management
* Technical Competence
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent (GS-13).
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html