Employment Type: Part-Time
Your application will remain active through the open period of this Public Notice. Once this Public Notice closes, you must reapply.
Learn more about this agency
* Duties and responsibilities vary and may increase according to grade level
* Plan, install, configure, test, implement and manage the systems environment in support of the organizations IT architecture and business needs.
* Monitor and assess network and host based Intrusion Detection and Prevention systems for suspicious activity.
* Plan, develop, implement and administer systems to effectively detect, triage and respond to security events and incidents.
* Assess the security effectiveness of installed systems based on analysis of reported security Problems and implement modifications to minimize vulnerabilities.
* Plan, design, develop, test, configure, install, implement, integrate and/or security policies and directives.
* Conduct forensic analysis and review contractor provided threat intelligence recommendations based on multi-source analysis.
* Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
* Computer Security Specialists
* Computer Support Specialists
* Database Management System Specialists
* Information Technology Specialist (It Specialist)
* Specialists, Computer Security
* Specialists, Database Management System
Conditions of Employment
* Please read this Public Notice in its entirety prior to submitting your application for consideration.
* U.S. Citizenship is required
* Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
* Total salary varies depending on location of position
* PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
* Recruitment incentives may be authorized
* Position may be subject to random drug testing
* Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, to include evenings, weekends and/or holidays
* Shift work and emergency overtime may be required
* Employee must maintain current certifications
* A security clearance may be required
* Disclosure of Political Appointments is required
* Per National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of fiscal year (FY) 2017. Section 1111 modifies 5 United States Code (U.S.C.) 3326; Veterans who are retiring within 180 days of appointment effective date may require a 180 day waiver package
* This position is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
Undergraduate or Graduate Education degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks
Experience demonstrating each of the following competencies: 1-attention to detail-through when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail, 2-customer service-works with clients and customers to assess needs, provide information or assistance, and resolve their problems or satisfy their expectations, 3-oral communication-express information to individuals or groups effectively, 4-problem solving- identifies problems, determines accuracy of information, uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
In additional to the basic requirements above, applicants must meet the specialized experience identified below:
GS-12: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 level that demonstrated experience in planning, analyzing, acquisition, designing, developing, implementing, quality assurance, configuration, integrating, maintenance testing, operational integrity, and/or management of systems used.
GS-13: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 that demonstrated experience in providing technical expertise on architecture, acquisition, certification and accreditation, systems tailoring for an organization mission; planning, organizing and managing the IT requirements and assessing long and short-term IT integration and migration capabilities; planning current and future system architecture requirements.
GS-14: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 that demonstrated experience in serving as senior IT specialist and consultant to senior management in support of organization wide IT policy, budget and plans for systems development, acquisition, installation, operation and maintenance; planning, organizing, and overseeing the activities of the IT organization and reviewing policies, procedures, mission objectives and organization design for the staff; serving as the recognized authority in the analysis and direction of IT programs and issues; and in researching, interpreting, analyzing and applying operations and security guidance.
GS-15: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 that demonstrated experience in representing the IT program at senior and executive levels with government and contractor organizations; providing expert technical advice and guidance to senior leadership on appropriate application of technology to meet current and future mission requirements; advising on maturity and viability of emerging IT solutions to include recommendations; development and implementation of IT capabilities and policy; performs oversight roles within the planning implementing, monitoring, and assessing programs; applies project management techniques and analytical processes to the planning, design, and implementation of new and improved systems; and reviews application of IT solutions including technological cost estimates.
Click on the following link to view occupational requirements for this position: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/2200/informationtechnology-it-management-series-2210-alternative-a/
Click on the following link to view occupational requirements for this position: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/2200/informationtechnology-it-management-series-2210-alternative-b/
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
* Knowledge of common cyberdefense security systems, tools and methods used in a Security Operations Center to effectively detect, triage and respond to security events and incidents.
* Knowledge of continuous monitoring, change control and measurement methods required to evaluate the security posture with an organization's assets and detect potential threats and/or security incidents.
* Knowledge of Information Technology principles, concepts, practices, systems software, database software, and immediate access storage technology to carry out activities.
* Ability to assess and advise on a variety of sources and procedures and methods for systems and applications.
* Knowledge of system requirements and techniques for planning current and future system architecture requirements.
* Knowledge of commonly applied principles, concepts, and methodologies, operating characteristics and capabilities of systems, media, equipment, and related software systems, processes and procedures.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY: If position has a positive degree requirement or education forms the basis for qualifications, you MUST submit transcriptswith the application. Official transcripts are not required at the time of application; however, if position has a positive degree requirement, qualifying based on education alone or in combination with experience; transcripts must be verified prior to appointment. An accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education must accredit education. Click here to check accreditation.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.