Heavy Mobile Equipment Repairer
Employment Type: Full-Time
About the Position: This position is a military technician position with the 63rd Readiness Division (DIV(R)), Equipment Concentration Site (ECS) 171, located in Barstow, California.
This position requires an active membership as a Soldier in the Army Reserve before a start date can be set. To learn more about minimum qualifications to join the Army Reserve, visit http://www.goarmy.com/reserve/jobs.html
Learn more about this agency
* Troubleshoot, repair, modify and maintain a variety of construction, industrial, combat, tactical and powered support equipment such as bulldozers, tractors, trucks, tracked recovery vehicles, ambulances, generators and forklifts.
* Remove and repair major systems or components of equipment to include power packs, transmissions, transfers, gear reduction units, injector pumps, air conditioners, fuel pumps and alternators.
* Make idle speed, current, brake and transmission linkage adjustments.
* Perform mechanical diagnostics and troubleshoot to localize defects and determine cause of malfunction.
* Perform minor body work and mechanical maintenance on defective parts.
* Provide technical assistance to unit personnel.
* Operate motor vehicles to perform the duties of this position.
Occasional travel - The business travel requirement is 10%.
* Job family (Series)
5803 Heavy Mobile Equipment Mechanic
Conditions of Employment
* Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
* This position requires a Personnel Security Investigation.
* This position requires membership in the US Army Reserve (USAR).
* This position is subject to Drug Abuse Testing Program requirements.
* This position requires a Class A CDL within 180 days of employment.
* This position requires a medical examination prior to employment.
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
* 30 Percent or More Disabled Veterans
* Current Department of Army Civilian Employees
* Current Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) Civilian Employee (non-Army)
* Domestic Defense Industrial Base/Major Range and Test Facilities Base Civilian Personnel Workforce
* Executive Order (E.O.) 12721
* Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
* Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act
* Military Spouses, under Executive Order (E.O.) 13473
* Non-Appropriated Fund Instrumentality (NAFI)
* Non-Department of Defense (DoD) Transfer
* Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Interchange Agreement Eligible
* People with Disabilities, Schedule A
* Postal Service/Peace Corps and Other Unique Authorities
* Priority Placement Program, DoD Military Spouse Preference (MSP) Eligible
* Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998
* Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA)
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of an Heavy Mobile Equipment Repairer without more than normal supervision. Applicants must meet the screen out element to be considered further. To meet the screen out element, applicants should document experience or show the ability to do the following: troubleshoot, maintain and repair heavy mobile equipment to include performance of preventative maintenance checks and services; repair, replace, install, or make adjustments to mobile equipment components and parts; and conduct various operational tests to perform final inspection. Failure to meet this Screen Out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
* Ability To Do The Work Of The position Without More Than Normal Supervision
* Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (includes blueprint reading)
* Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
* Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.
* Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
* Trouble Shooting
* Use of Measuring Instruments
* Physical Effort Required: You may be required to work in tiring or uncomfortable positions for long periods. Work frequently requires climbing on top of equipment or crawling under equipment to work on the various components. You will frequently have to bend, reach, stretch and crouch. Work is strenuous, often requiring the lifting and carrying of items weighing up to 40 pounds. You will also push, pull, and turn heavy parts and equipment. You will move heavier items with assistance of other workers.
* Working Conditions: Work inside and outside where you will be exposed to drafts, dirt, grease and vehicle fumes. You will be exposed to some inclement weather such as rain, snow, cold, and freezing temperatures; and may be required to work in mud and wet or icy areas when outdoors. Subject to burns, scrapes, cuts, bruises, shocks and strains.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.