Senior Counsel, Litigation
Employment Type: Full-Time
We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We're building the world's most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the Cruise Legal Organization:
Cruise is creating a new-to-the-world service and a world-changing category of autonomous vehicle mobility. On the legal side, the rules are being written now, and we're the team charged with helping guide the company on legal and risk considerations as we unlock the future. We're a collegial group in which every role matters, and you'll have an impact on high stakes decisions, working with technical and development teams solving some of the hardest engineering challenges of our generation. This position will report to our Associate General Counsel, Litigation, Employment & Investigations.
About the role:
Cruise is seeking a hardworking and self-motivated Senior Counsel to join the Litigation, Employment & Investigations team in its San Francisco office. In this role, you will develop and provide pragmatic, expert legal advice on a variety of litigation, dispute resolution, and risk management issues. This is a general litigation role, but the ideal candidate will have a strong background in intellectual property and technology, because you will be a key collaborator, problem solver, and thought partner for various business and engineering teams at Cruise. If you are a strategic, forward-looking, litigation pro looking for a unique challenge, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day responsibilities Include:
* Successfully resolve litigation and pre-litigation claims and disputes, including managing outside counsel, assessing exposure, setting strategy, overseeing discovery and motion practice, interviewing and selecting fact and expert witnesses, preparing infringement and damages analyses, and driving resolution decisions.
* Partner closely with the Intellectual Property team to develop a strong familiarity with Cruise's key patent assets and support their licensing efforts and external-facing protective strategies.
* Integrate deeply with business and engineering teams to develop a thorough understanding of Cruise's technology, and use that understanding to find opportunities to manage and mitigate risk, troubleshoot business practices that create unnecessary legal exposure, and proactively review existing procedures and recommend improvements.
* Maintain knowledge of developing case law relevant to Cruise's operations, as well as knowledge of litigation, opposition, revocation and invalidation proceedings that potentially impact Cruise's IP strategy.
* Participate actively in Litigation team management, including budgeting, forecasting, managing outside counsel, and preparing reports to senior management.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
* Graduate of an accredited law school with at least 8 years of major law firm and/or in-house litigation experience, with a focus on intellectual property litigation in the technology sector.
* Deep, sophisticated knowledge of intellectual property law and procedures, including post-grant review proceedings.
* Recent and significant hands-on experience managing intellectual property disputes in federal courts, the International Trade Commission, and arbitral bodies.
* Active member of a state bar in good standing.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills, impeccable integrity and judgment, strong analytical skills, and a keen sense of humor.
* Collaborative by nature and able to build strong partnerships, with a responsive, service-oriented attitude.
* Comfortable in a fast-paced environment and able to manage a large and complex workload.
* Flexibility for occasional travel.
* Strategic problem solver with a verifiable history of communicating sound and practical advice to business clients.
* Ability to work autonomously, drive results, and set priorities.
* In-house experience
* Trial experience; double points for E.D. and/or W.D. Texas
* B.S. or graduate studies in engineering or computer science, or other related technical field
* Working knowledge of robotics, machine learning, autonomous vehicle technology and/or conventional automotive subsystems
* Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
* Competitive salary and benefits
* 401(k) Cruise matching program
* Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
* One Medical membership
* Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
* Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
* Paid parental leave
* Fertility Benefits
* Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
* Flexible Spending Account
* Monthly wellness stipend
* Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
* We're Integrated
* Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
* We're Funded
* GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
* We're Independent
* We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
* We're Vested
* You won't just own your work here, you'll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.