Palliative Care Nurse Coordinator
Employment Type: Full-Time
Under general direction of the Director of Palliative Care Services and the Chief Nursing Director, and following established medically approved policies and procedures, implements specialized skilled nursing processes in designated hospital units of Ventura County Medical Center and Santa Paula Hospital. The Palliative Care Nurse Coordinator, in collaboration with palliative care physicians and other palliative care team members, provides holistic compassionate care within the palliative care (PC) team structure that embraces the patient and family as a unit and recognizes cultural ethnic and spiritual differences. The Palliative Care team's aim is to relieve suffering and improve quality of life during any state in the course of a life-threatening illness, from diagnosis through the end of life and bereavement. Acts as liaison with community professionals, support services and others as needs identified.
AGENCY/DEPARTMENT: Health Care Agency - Ventura County Medical Center (VCMC)
PAYROLL TITLE: Senior Registered Nurse - Hospital
Senior Registered Nurse-Hospital is represented by the California Nurses' Association (CNA) and is eligible for overtime compensation. Salary placement will be determined according to the current CNA memorandum of agreement.
CERTIFICATION PAY: Incumbents in this classification are eligible for certification pay at a rate of $0.813 per hour based on his or her scheduled work week hours and not to exceed the scheduled work week hours for each qualified certification possessed up to a maximum of five (5) certifications. Additionally, Incumbents in the Emergency Room are eligible for a sixth (6) certificate pay, if it includes the MICN certificate.
EDUCATIONAL/BILINGUAL INCENTIVE: Some positions may be eligible for educational incentive. This incentive may be 2.5%, 3.5%, or 5% for incumbents in eligible positions based on completion of an Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's degree that is not required for the classification.Incumbents may also be eligible for bilingual incentive depending upon operational need and certification of skill.
The eligible list established from this recruitment may be used to fill current and future Regular (including Temporary and Fixed-term), Intermittent, and Extra Help vacancies. There is currently one (1) Regular vacancy.
Examples Of Duties
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
* Collaborates with the Palliative Care Team while utilizing the nursing process approachto provide consultation in symptom management and supportive care toprospectively and concurrently execute plans for health care services for the patient and patient's family.
* Coordinates care and evaluations consistent with the VCMC palliative care model.
* Attends and facilitates patient/family meetings with the interdisciplinary palliative care team toclarify patient and family care goals.
* Acts as a consultant to patients, families, the acute care team and other involved providers to contribute to the plan of care.
* Collaborates in development of clinical practice guidelines, standards and policies in support of quality palliative care services.
* Provides education and training to facility's staff (i.e. nurses, social service, medical staff, interns and residents and other ancillary staff as needed) as well as the community regarding palliative care and associated services.
* Assists with the maintenance of the operational, personnel and financial aspects of the palliative care program.
* Acts as a resource for professionals and non-professionals involved in palliative care within the community.
* Facilitates access to appropriate support models of care (i.e., hospice, rehabilitation, on-going aggressive treatment).
* Prepares and maintains accurate patient records, charts and documents to support sound nursing practice as related to palliative care services.
* Adheres to the practice of confidentiality regarding patients, families, staff and the organization.
* Develops and maintains effective liaison with community professionals, support services and other palliative care teams.
* Participates in on-going data collection, analysis and research.
* Promotes the philosophy and mission of Ventura County Health Care Agency.
* Performs other related duties as required.
These are entrance requirements to the examination process and assure neither continuance in the process nor placement on an eligible list.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, andEXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of full-time professional Registered Nursing clinical experience in an acute care, oncology, ambulatory care, pain management and/or Palliative Care setting.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
* Must possess and maintain a current, valid license as a Registered Nurse issued by the State of California.
* Must have a current, valid Basic Life Support (BLS/CPR) certification by first day of employment.
* Must be able to work collaboratively with the Multidisciplinary team, multitask and work in a fast pace environment.
* Successful completion of palliative care training required, including pain and symptom management nutrition and hydration, psychosocial spiritual care, hospice and end of life care within 1 year or employment.
* Certified Hospice and Palliative Care Nurse (CHPN) mandatory within 1 year of employment.
FINAL FILING DATE:This is a continuous recruitment and may close at any time; therefore, apply as soon as possible if you are interested in it. Your application must be received by County of Ventura Human Resources no later than 5:00 p.m. on the closing date.
To apply online, please refer to our web site at www.ventura.org/jobs. If you prefer to fill out a paper application form, please call (805) 654-5129 for application materials and submit them to County of Ventura Human Resources, 800 South Victoria Avenue, L-1970, Ventura, CA 93009.
It is essential that you complete all sections of your application and supplemental questionnaire thoroughly and accurately to demonstrate your qualifications. A resume and/or other related documents may be attached to supplement the information in your application; however, it/they may not be submitted in lieu of the application and supplemental questionnaire.
NOTE: If presently permanently employed in another 'merit' or 'civil service' public agency/entity in the same or substantively similar position as is advertised, and if appointed to that position by successful performance in a 'merit' or 'civil service' style examination, then appointment by 'Lateral Transfer' may be possible. If interested, please clickhere for additional information.
SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE - qualifying: All applicants are required to complete and submit the questionnaire for this examination AT THE TIME OF FILING. The supplemental questionnaire may be used throughout the examination process to assist in determining each applicant's qualifications and acceptability for the position. Failure to complete and submit the questionnaire will result in the application being removed from consideration.
APPLICATION EVALUATION - 100%: An application evaluation will be conducted. A score will be assigned to each application based on established criteria. Such score will be considered as the final score for placement on the eligible list.
Applicants successfully completing the examination process may be placed on an eligible list for a period of one (1) year.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION: A thorough pre-employment, post offer background investigation which may include inquiry into past employment, education, criminal background information and driving record may be required for this position.
For further information about this recruitment, please contact Sabrina Anderson via email at Sabrina.Anderson@ventura.org or by telephone at (805) 654-2642.