Postdoctoral Fellow - U
Employment Type: Full-Time
Under general supervision, to perform short-term activities and projects supporting the Agency/Department's research and evaluation program, in accordance with the Agency/Department's policies and procedures.
This recruitment is for Social Services Agency's Fellowship Program. The position is a two-year postdoctoral research fellowship. Fellows must be in residence full-time at the Santa Clara County Social Services Agency for the duration of the award period and cannot hold other fellowships at the same time.
Please email the following application materials toCatherine Vu, Ph.D., MSW, MPA,Director of Research and Evaluation firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) A cover letter describing why you are interested in pursuing this position, your research and evaluation interests and experiences, what you hope to gain from this fellowship, and how that relates to your future career goals. If you have experience working in government agencies, please describe them and what you think are the benefits and challenges to doing research and evaluation in public settings;
2) A current Curriculum Vitae;
3) A list of at least three references;
4) A graduate school transcript that includes proof of attainment of doctoral-level degree; and
5) At least one writing sample, journal publication preferred.
Click this link to the job announcement for more information. Typical Tasks
The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Each individual in the classification does not necessarily perform all duties listed.
* Works with various stakeholders in formulating research questions and design;
* Conducts research, evaluation design, data collection and analysis,
* Assesses, interprets, and evaluates outcomes of research;
* Develops possible applications of research outcomes;
* Implements and integrates recommendations into departmental policies, programs, and practices;
* Disseminates research findings and evaluations of programs;
* Develops and delivers trainings to staff related to research and evaluation topics such as logic models, survey design, and qualitative and quantitative data collection;
* May be assigned as a Disaster Service Worker, as required;
* May perform other related duties, as required.
Sufficient education, training, and experience to demonstrate the possession and direct application of the following knowledge and abilities:
Training and Experience Note: The required knowledge and abilities are attained through possession of a Doctoral degree. The discipline will be specified by the Agency/Department and may include fields of study in Anthropology, Biostatistics, Criminal Justice, Economics, Education, Ethnic Studies, Geography, Political Science, Psychology, Public Administration, Public Policy, Sociology, Social Welfare, Social Work, Statistics, or other fields relevant to the research of emerging trends identified by the Agency/Department.
* Ability to travel to alternate locations in the course of work. If driving, possession of a valid California driver's license prior to appointment and the ability to qualify for and maintain a County driver authorization.
* May be required to pass a Live Scan background check.
* May be required to pass a health clearance.
* Research methodology and principles and practices of data collection and analysis;
* English language, including proper grammar, punctuation, and syntax;
* Standard office practices and procedures;
* Common computer software applications and equipment.
* Apply research methodology in the collection of quantitative and qualitative data;
* Work on multiple projects and tasks simultaneously to meet deadlines;
* Approach assigned tasks with resourcefulness and creativity;
* Analyze and solve problems logically;
* Conduct and use research to inform public policies, program effectiveness, and/or client services;
* Establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external partners;
* Communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing;
* Write clear and concise reports;
* Work independently with limited supervision as well as collaboratively in a team setting.