Grounds & Building Maintenance
Employment Type: Full-Time
Position Title Grounds & Building Maintenance Position Type Staff FTE
General Employment Period
January - December
General Work Schedule (days of week)
Generally Monday through Friday, but it will include a weekend rotation.
General shift hours
Typical 8:00 am - 4:30 pm but may include early mornings and evenings as needed.
Benefits Eligible? Yes Job Summary/Basic Function
1. Support the mission and vision of Concordia College and demonstrate the competencies as defined for this position.
2. Lawn care, trees and shrubs - 15%
* Seeding and patching
* Leaf and debris removal
* Preparation and maintenance of flower beds
* Tree trimming and removal
* Insect and disease control
* Equipment operation
3. Roads, Parking Lots, Trails, waterfronts - 15%
* Asphalt care and patching
* Road right-of-way clearing and clean up
* Clearing and preparation of proposed building sites
* Landscaping and development of new soccer fields, recreation areas, path, walkways and walkways.
* Sign maintenance
* Ski trail maintenance
* Maintenance of boundary lines
* Install and maintain docks and swim rafts
* Maintain all watercraft and motors
* Maintain beach front and water recreation areas
4. Equipment Maintenance - Grounds Equipment and Motor Pool - 15%
* Perform routine equipment condition checks as an equipment operator responsibility
* General equipment and vehicle maintenance
* Maintain passenger vehicles (vans and cars) in clean and ready condition.
* Shuttle vehicles used by programs to needed locations.
* Minor mechanical repairs and parts replacement
* Equipment cleaning and painting
* Proper storage of tools and equipment
* Record keeping and parts inventory
* Welding and metal fabrication
5. Snow Removal - Schedule -15%
* Operation of equipment
* Clearing walks, steps, balconies, entryways, and entry mats
* Snow and ice removal from building roofs when necessary
* Sanding paths and road when necessary
6. Utility Crew Schedule & Garbage Hauling - 10%
* Deliveries of Facilities materials (includes wood for wood furnaces and salt for water softeners)
* Set up, take down, and maintenance of outdoor tents
* Moving and hauling of facility furnishings
* Special program set-up
* Garbage removal
* Care of garbage and recycling buildings
* Composting - hauling and composting site maintenance
7. Additional Grounds Duties - 5%
* Make routine inspections of grounds
* Plan and schedule grounds work
* Help determine seasonal staffing needs
* Evaluate seasonal staff productivity
* Coordinate work with Gardener and seasonal Grounds employees.
* Coordinate work with Assistant Facilities Manager and Building Maintenance Supervisor
* Monitor and encourage safe working methods and conditions
BUILDINGS - Assist Building Maintenance Supervisor in the following areas as assigned:
8. General Repairs and Maintenance- 15%
* Light bulb replacement and fixture repair
* Exterior/interior building maintenance - paint, stain, etc.
* Assist in maintaining plumbing fixtures
* Assist with electrical maintenance
* Assist with window cleaning when necessary
* Clean gutters
9. Building Maintenance and Security - 10%
* Serve as relief person for building repair and security person as the schedule requires
* Inspecting and maintaining life safety equipment-GFI's, fire extinguishers, emergency lights, smoke detectors, CO detectors
* Lock and unlock building and do building checks as needed
* Maintain familiarity with operation of fire alarm systems and safety procedures.
10. Provide assistance to the Facilities Department, Language Programs, or User Groups by performing other duties as assigned.
* High School diploma or GED
* Valid driver's license
* 6 months experience in snow removal and grounds maintenance equipment
Must be able to read and write
* Strong communication skills
* Strong customer service skills
* Ability to work in a team environment
* Excellent organizational skills
* Time Management ability
* Lift 40 pounds unassisted and 100 pounds assisted several times per day
* Ability to use variety of cleaning chemicals, glues, paints, stains, etc.
* Ability to perform repetitive motions
* Must be able to kneel, stoop, stand for extended periods of time
* Willingness to work varied shifts, including weekends
Post High School education
Open Until Filled Yes Screening Begins 05/26/2021 EEO/AA Statement
Concordia College will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, sex, religion, national origin, age, veteran's status, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, public assistance status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, or any other legally protected status.
Special Instructions to Applicants Employment Contingencies Background Check , Motor Vehicle Record Investigation Location Bemidji