Employment Type: Full-Time
The City of Tustin Police Department is currently seeking applicants for academy enrolled Police Recruit. This recruitment is open to candidates who are currently enrolled in a POST certified Police Academy, or have graduated from one within the last six months, and is conducted on a continuous basis to meet the needs of the City as vacancies occur and may close at any time.
To be considered, the following must be submitted:
* A completed application and supplemental questionnaire
* Proof of Police Academy enrollment, or copy of Basic POST Certificate
The City of Tustin Police Department operates under a community policing philosophy with approximately 96 sworn positions. The Department provides its officers opportunities to gain exposure to a wide variety of municipal police activities (Patrol Officer, Investigator, GRADE - Gang Reduction and Directed Enforcement, Field Training, K-9, Motors, Bike Patrol, Professional Standards & Training and School Resources).
Each component listed below must be passed in order to continue to the next phase. Completion of the selection process may take up to six months. Applicants will receive written notification of their current status in the selection process.
1. Physical Agility Exam - Pass/Fail
2. Oral Board Interview
3. Background Investigation and Polygraph Examination
4. Police Chief's Interview
5. Psychological and Medical Examinations (upon conditional offer of employment)
Candidates successfully completing all components of the selection process will be placed on an employment eligibility list from which hires may be made. The eligible list is valid for one year.The duration of the selection process typically lasts 9 - 12 months.
* IMPORTANT* A comprehensive background investigation and polygraph will be conducted on any eligible persons considered for hire. Recent drug usage, theft or other illegal activity may be grounds for disqualification. A pre-employment medical, psychological evaluation AND a drug screen will be conducted upon a conditional offer of employment.
Examples of Duties
Successful candidates are appointed in a non-sworn capacity while attending a POST certified Basic Police Academy. Curriculum includes coursework mandated by the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training and/or the local Police Academy Advisory Committee. After meeting all department, State mandated and academy requirements, including graduation from the Police Academy, incumbents are considered for promotion to the position of sworn Police Officer. Once appointed to a sworn Police Officer position, successful completion of the Department's field training requirements (approximately 6 months) within an 18-month probationary period is required. Sworn officers perform the full range of law enforcement duties.
Must currently be enrolled in a POST certified Police Academy, or have graduated from one within the last six months.
* Age: Must be 21 years of age at time of appointment.
* Education: High school graduate or equivalent.
* Physical: Excellent physical condition. Must be physically capable of performing all tasks required of a Tustin Police Officer as determined by a physical agility test, medical examination and psychological evaluation. Normal hearing and color vision; vision 20/100 in each eye correctable to 20/20; weight proportional to height.
* Citizenship: Must be a United States citizen or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for United States citizenship. In accordance with California State law, citizenship status must be conferred within three (3) years of applying for citizenship.
* Background: Must be of good moral character with no convictions for felony or crimes of moral turpitude and be able to pass a comprehensive background investigation.
* License: At time of appointment, candidate must possess and maintain a valid California driver's license and satisfactory driving record.
* Language: Must have fluent command of the English language in both oral and written form.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
Position requires prolonged sitting, walking, reaching, twisting, and turning, kneeling, bending, squatting, and stooping in the performance of daily activities. The incumbent must also be able to lift, carry, drag, pull and push objects and persons weighing at least 165 pounds; stand for extended periods of time such as in guarding a crime scene; run for extended periods of time such as in foot pursuit of suspects; distinguish colors and observe and recognize people, vehicles and environmental conditions during the day and night; recall details concerning incidents, people and occurrences in order to write thorough, accurate and complete reports; hear radio transmissions in noisy environments such as in a busy intersection; maintain composure and good judgment while under stress.
The City of Tustin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.