Community Youth Advisor
Employment Type: Full-Time
The City of Pasadena's Police Department is seeking Community Youth Advisors to mentor youth who participate in the Pasadena Activities League (PAL) Program. The PAL program offers a positive atmosphere for elementary, middle, and high school students in the Pasadena area and is designed to give youth in the community a safe program to attend after school and during the summer. VisitPasadena PAL program to learn more!
Community Youth Advisors serve as positive role models by fostering healthy relationships and communicating positive ideals and values that inspire and support the academic goals and special interests of local youth. Community Youth Advisors receive basic orientation in the purpose, functions, and responsibilities of thePasadena Police Department and the Community Services operation, and receive on-the-job training and exposure to career opportunities with the City.
The ideal candidatemust be 18 to 22 years of age at the time of appointment, currently enrolled in a recognized college as a full time student, and demonstrate good character, alertness and emotional stability.
Applicants that meet the qualifications for this position will be invited to attend a mandatory virtual orientation tentatively scheduled for the week of November 9, 2020.
The major responsibilities of this position are listed below. For more detailed information, please review the job description.
* Counsels school-age youth on the importance of education and good citizenship, including drug prevention.
* Drives a vehicle to various locations in the City and transports youths to planned activities.
* Assists youth in cultivating positive alternatives to anti-social and criminal lifestyles.
* Responds to citizen inquiries andparticipates in meetings with community groups.
* Exhibits a positive leadership in parks, schools and public gatherings.
* Assists Police and Community Services personnel in assigned projects.
* Provides referrals to community and governmental service agencies.
* Remains alert to potential conflicts, problems and concerns in the community and takes appropriate preventative action.
* Prepares written reports and performs other related duties as assigned.
The following list representsthe core competencies needed for success in this position.
* Adaptability -Responding positively to change and modifying behavior as the situation requires
* Professional Integrity& Ethics -Displaying honesty, adherence to principles, and personal accountability
* Oral Communication -Engaging effectively in dialogue
* Professional Impact -Presenting self as a positive representative of the organization
* Teamwork -Collaborating with others to achieve shared goals
* Safety Focus -Showing vigilance and care in identifying and addressing health risks and safety hazards
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
* Must be 18 to 22 years of age at the time of appointment, currently enrolled in a recognized college as a full time student, anddemonstrate good character, alertness and emotional stability.
Applicants who meet the qualifications stated above will be invited to an orientation and interview with the Pasadena Police Department to further evaluate their background, knowledge, skills and abilities. Successful completion of a background review, polygraph test and medical examination is required prior to appointment.
There are currently two (2) vacancies in the Community Services Section of the Police Department. The resulting eligibility list from this recruitment may be used to fill this vacancy and similar vacancies in the future.
This is an at-will position. Special Requirements
Must have access to reliable transportation. Must possess a valid California Class C driver's license and comply with the City's Motor Vehicle Safety Policy during the course of employment
NOTE:Community Youth Advisor assignments are not to exceed four years. If a Community Youth Advisor has not exceeded the four year limit, he/she may continue in the program until their 25th birthday.If the Community Youth Advisor, prior to reaching their25th birthday, failsto maintain a 2.0 minimum grade point average, discontinues education, or drops below the required minimum number of units, the Community Youth Advisor will be released from employment