Medical Laboratory Technician - Hematopathology
Employment Type: Full-Time
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) is under the direction of a licensed Supervisor and/or Clinical Laboratory Scientists. The MLT must apply practical and theoretical knowledge to accurately perform and evaluate waived, and moderate complex laboratory procedures in an efficient manner. Demonstrates behavioral skills that contribute to a productive work environment and provides excellent customer service. Performs all procedures and other tests in the laboratory as delegated and as qualified under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) 1988, and the State of California.
Key Responsibilities include:
* Uses comprehensive knowledge of scientific theory and departmental policies and procedures to perform waived and moderate complex testing and procedures.
* Understands and complies with policies and procedures to perform responsibilities.
* Recognizes, troubleshoots and resolves problems/adverse situations utilizing analytical thinking skills.
* Observes best laboratory practices to ensure high quality of work with consistent accuracy and precision to promote exceptional patient care and outcomes.
* Adheres to proper safety procedures and precautions for chemical and biological hazards in compliance with College of American Pathologists (CAP) requirements, California Occupational Safety and Health Administration (CALOSHA), City of Hope and Departmental policies and procedures.
* Participates as a productive member of the work team.
* Contributes to the productivity of the work team through adaptability and flexibility to workload and schedule changes in a way that promotes cooperation and minimizes disruption to the work environment and complies with the organization and departmental attendance policies.
* Coordinates a simultaneous series of tests with complete accuracy in a timely manner and
* demonstrates a low error rate. Handles the normal workload in an organized and efficient manner and priorities and multitasks to handle heavy workload as needed.
* Utilizes spare time for appropriate work-related activities, such as assisting coworkers who need aid, performing inventory and inventory control tasks, clerical duties, etc.
* Demonstrates, promotes, and assists with quality assurance activities to ensure the highest quality outcomes.
* Performs and verifies valid waived and moderate test results through evaluation of assay/instrument parameters including quality control, reagent performance, calibration, etc. before reporting patient results.
* Properly operates and maintains instruments and equipment.
* Participates in the completion of quality control (QC) / quality assurance (QA) procedures as scheduled and as per department policies and procedures. Assists in preparation for and participates in internal audits, external inspections, proficiency testing surveys, and properly maintains records to fulfill the requirements of accrediting
* Participates in continuous process improvement.
* Meets the workflow functions of a busy clinical laboratory.
* Assesses the adequacy of samples prior to testing and follows appropriate procedures for inadequate specimens, consulting with the CLS as necessary.
* Assesses and documents the suitability of delivered reagents and supplies. Properly logs, labels and stores reagents and supplies per manufacturer's guidelines and department protocols. Initiates appropriate corrective procedures for damaged/leaking reagents and supplies. Distributes special alerts and notifications, received with reagents and supplies, to the department staff and supervisor.
* Actively ensures adequate stock and in-date of reagent and supplies so that there are no interruptions in patient services.
* Cross-trains across instrumentation in the clinical laboratory as required.
* Develops and maintains skills to provide coverage as assigned by the supervisor.
* Assists with designing and conducting validation protocols for new instrumentation.
* Assists with the writing of SOP's and training of staff.
* Performs daily maintenance of equipment and maintains appropriate QA/QC records for all analysis according to CDPH, CAP and other regulatory agencies.
* Maintains department records, reports, and files as required.
* Attends required meetings.
* Maintains a clean, organized and properly supplied work station.
* Follows policies/procedures/regulatory requirements and performs other work as assigned.
* Complies with all department and organizational policies and procedures in addition to regulatory requirements, such as CALOSHA, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), The Joint Commission (TJC), etc., and participates in corporate or departmental safety and quality improvement activities.
* Performs other work assignments as required to maintain, sustain, and improve quality care and patient outcomes such as generating TIPS filing and Internal Occurrence reports, editing and updating Competency Validation Checklists and Standard Operating Procedures.
* Presents data in a logical, orderly and clear fashion with explanation of deficiencies, problems and/or further studies required by following established procedures and regulatory guidelines.
* Lives the organization's commitment to the 'Patient Experience.'
* Always have a positive and compassionate attitude.
* Uses courteous, clear and timely communications with customers.
* Anticipates and responds appropriately to the needs of others.
* Respects the customers time.
* Displays professionalism at all times to all people.
* Uses teamwork throughout the organization.
* Listens, empathizes and works diligently to find solutions to sustain and maintain the 'Patient Experience'.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
* Associate of Arts or Science degree in a science related field and completion of an accredited program for Medical Laboratory Technician.
* California Medial Laboratory Technician (MLT) License.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.#LI-AH
* Posting Date: Jun 10, 2021
* Job Field: Allied Health
* Employee Status: Regular
* Shift: Day Job