Senior Manager - Business Strategy and Analytics
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: the team is based in San Francisco and Austin which are the preferred locations, but this position may be eligible for work from other Schwab offices around the country.
The Deposits and Margin Strategy and Analytics team is responsible for product analytics related to deposits and margin, for Charles Schwab Bank and for the brokerage Charles Schwab and Co. Inc.
We are seeking a strong data analyst with excellent presentation skills to help drive strategy, analytics, forecasting, pricing and other work related primarily to Schwab's sweep deposits (uninvested cash in brokerage accounts), which are the majority of Schwab's deposit liabilities.
A senior manager's responsibility could range from driving a specific work-stream supporting strategy development to owning project delivery from inception to completion. Project work will include data-driven diagnostics and might include cash balance forecasting, deposit pricing analysis, regulatory analysis, and cash behavior diagnostics. The project work largely will involve analyzing and interpreting, for senior management of Schwab Bank and brokerage, data related to cash deposit products.
Individuals must have good partnership and collaboration skills as work typically requires a coordinated effort with team members and cross-functional business partners. The role works closely with Treasury, Finance, Planning and the Sweep Product Team. Members of the team who are highly successful demonstrate the ability to combine solid data analysis skills with strategic thinking.
What you are good at
* Use econometric/time series analysis to build both short-term (1-6 months) and multi-year forecasts, based on internal historical data and based on our corporate macroeconomic forecast scenarios, of key cash balances, such as Bank Sweep or Schwab One Interest, and the sensitivity of those balances to interest rate movements and stock market activity
* Use discrete choice analysis to analyze cash product behavior such as checking account closure propensity and its causes
* Write SQL queries of Schwab's data warehouse to get data needed to analyze deposit behavior, size a new product opportunity, or size the amount of client cash being held in specific segments. Then, conduct the strategic analysis of the decision in question, develop a recommendation, and prepare Excel and Powerpoint documents to explain the decision
* Build a financial model to show the financial impact of key management decisions (e.g. deposit pricing, changes to Schwab Bank growth strategy) on Net Interest Revenue
* Identify creative use of statistical or machine learning tools to apply to various Schwab Bank strategic issues
* Take on a strategic analysis end to end [identify the problem, develop alternatives, get the data needed to analyze the problem, work with the partners to understand their needs and perspectives, do the analytics to analyze the problem, present the results for feedback from the partners]
What you have
In addition to soft skills, technical skills should include, at a minimum, high proficiency in Excel, SQL, and PowerPoint, and the ability to communicate data-driven insights. Beyond that, all of the following possible backgrounds are potential pluses and will be considered as part of the overall talent mix on the team:
* statistical programming in R or Python (note: although statistical programming background is useful, it is not strictly required for this role which is more strategy-focused)
* direct previous experience with deposit or margin products
* banking or finance background
* Tableau or other data visualization tools
* computer science background
* business strategy background
* other evidence of ability to think and communicate using data.
The typical senior manager hire has a minimum of 8+ years of experience. However, the role may be adjusted on a case by case basis to fit the background of the applicant.
* Bachelor's degree and preferred, a post-grad degree; Ph.D., a plus but is not required.
Target Total Compensation - 112,100 - 200,300.Your actual pay will be based on your skills and experience -- talk with your recruiter to learn more.