Postdoctoral Scientist - Hunt Lab
Employment Type: Full-Time
Principal Investigator, David Hunt, PhD is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the team!
When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and every second matters. This shared culture of happiness, passion, and dedication pulses through Cedars-Sinai, and it's just one of the many reasons why we rank as one of the top hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
As a Postdoctoral Scientist under the direction of Dr. Hunt, participate in a variety of ongoing lab projects requiring electrophysiology data collection and have the opportunity to pursue your own self-initiated research project of a topic related to the lab's mission. Relevant topics are focused on synaptic physiology and plasticity in the human brain (using live human brain tissue from neurosurgical resections). Alternatively, projects investigating the circuit mechanisms of memory related dynamics in the hippocampus are available using cell-type-specific transgenic rodents proprietary to the lab. Strong organizational and communication skills are critical.
To learn more, please visit: Hunt Laboratory | Cedars-Sinai (cedars-sinai.org)
In this role, the Postdoctoral Scientist will be expected to work independently under the direction of the Principal Investigator (P.I.) and in close cooperation, as well as consultation, with other research staff. As a Postdoctoral Scientist, perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout the training period and may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols. The Postdoc is responsible for analyzing and interpreting data.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
* May assist in preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
* May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
* Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the P.I.
* Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
* Operates and maintains equipment and instruments
* Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization. PhD degree in relevant basic science or biomedical engineering discipline, preferred.
Experience and Skillset:
* Highly motivated and works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
* Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
* Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis, and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
* Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
* Experience with electrophysiology is required (patch-clamp technique in acute brain slices and/or extracellular recording in-vivo).
* Experience with optogenetics is desirable.
* Intermediate programming experience (Python, MATLAB) is a plus.
* Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Hunt Lab
* Department: BioMedical Science
* Business Entity: Academic / Research
* City: Los Angeles
* Job Category: Academic/Research
* Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
* Position Type: Full-time
* Shift Length: 8 hour shift
* Shift Type: Day