Postdoctoral Scientist - Gayther Lab - Center for Bioinformatics & Functional Genomics
Employment Type: Full-Time
Share Requisition # HRC0183144C
The Center for Bioinformatics and Functional Genomics at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center is seeking a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the lab of Dr. Simon Gayther!
The Center brings together teams specializing in cell biology, computational biology, functional analysis of the genome coupled with next generation sequencing and genome editing to provide a complete pipeline for identifying the functional consequences of identified cancer risk loci.
Dr. Gayther's research program is largely focused on understanding the underlying causes of ovarian, breast, and prostate cancer development. The lab is working to define the heritable component and the functional role of both common and rare risk variants and their target susceptibility genes in the early stage disease pathogenesis. For more information, please visit https://www.cedars-sinai.org/research/labs/gayther.html.
Working independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigator and other Research Scientists, the Postdoc will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period, and may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols. This role analyzes and interprets data, may assist in preparation of grant proposals, and participates in publications and presentations as author or co-author. This position is not responsible for generating grant funds.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
* Design, implement and execute conducting a CRISPR Cas9 screen
* Manage the day to day running of specific experiments
* Abide by Animal Licenses, IRB protocols, and SOP relating to projects in the laboratory
* Supervise graduate student/RA on relevant projects
* Undertake research projects that are part of the research program under the direction of principal Investigator or designated investigators
* Present at national/international conferences, internal seminars
* Assist in day to day activities in running the laboratory
* Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization
Experience and Skillset:
* Experience in genetics, genomics and genome editing
* Experience in generally molecular biology techniques such as PCR, cloning, plasmid manipulation, siRNA/CRISPR knockdown
* Experience in cell culture, cell biology assays and modeling of disease
* Experience in high throughput screening approaches
* Experience in generating next generation sequencing data
* Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Gayther Lab - Center for Bioinformatics & Functional Genomics
* Department: BMS - Bioinfo & Func Genomics
* Business Entity: Academic / Research
* City: Los Angeles
* Job Category: Academic/Research
* Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
* Position Type: Full-time
* Shift Length: 8 hour shift
* Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.