Postdoctoral Scientist - Gayther/Knott Lab - Center for Bioinformatics and Functional Genomics
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Center for Bioinformatics and Functional Genomics at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center is seeking a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the labs of Drs. Simon Gayther and Simon Knott
Our Center brings together teams specializing in cell biology, computational biology, functional analysis of the genome coupled with next generation genome to cover all aspects related to identifying cancer risk loci and understanding their mechanistic and phenotypic consequences.
Dr. Gayther's research program is largely focused on understanding the underlying causes of ovarian, breast, and prostate cancer development. The lab is working to define the heritable component and the functional role of both common and rare risk variants and their target susceptibility genes in the early stage disease pathogenesis.
For more information, please visit https://www.cedars-sinai.org/research/labs/gayther.html.
Dr. Knott's research program is focused on developing and apply computational and molecular tools to study cancer progression. His laboratory is primarily focused on understanding the hetero-cellular interactions that drive cancer progression, with the overreaching goal of improving patient outcomes by targeting these relationships. The projects within the laboratory span a spectrum of disease stages, from the analysis of tissues that capture disease initiation to the profiling of late stage metastases. They study animal models and clinical samples with high-fidelity analysis tools and then test hypotheses generated from this work using the functional genetic tools they continue to develop. For more information, please visit https://www.cedars-sinai.org/research/labs/knott.html
Working independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigators and other Research Scientists, the Postdoc will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period, and may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols. This role analyzes and interprets data, may assist in preparation of grant proposals, and participates in publications and presentations as author or co-author. This position is not responsible for generating grant funds.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
* Design, implement and execute CRISPR screens
* Manage the day to day running of downstream experiments
* Abide by Animal Licenses, IRB protocols, and SOP relating to projects in the laboratory
* Supervise a graduate student/RA on relevant projects
* Undertake research projects that are part of the research program under the direction of principal Investigators
* Present at national/international conferences and give internal seminars
* Assist in day to day activities in running the laboratory
* Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization
* Experience in genetics, genomics and genome editing
* Experience in generally molecular biology techniques such as PCR, cloning, plasmid manipulation, siRNA/CRISPR knockdown
* Experience in cell culture, cell biology assays and modeling of disease
* Experience in high throughput screening approaches
* Experience in generating next generation sequencing data
* Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Gayther/Knott Lab - Center for Bioinformatics and Functional Genomics
* Department: BMS - Bioinfo & Func Genomics
* Business Entity: Academic / Research
* City: Los Angeles
* Job Category: Academic/Research
* Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
* Position Type: Full-time
* Shift Length: 8 hour shift
* Shift Type: Day