Assistant General Counsel
Employment Type: Full-Time
Carbon is working at the intersection of hardware, software, and molecular science to make the impossible possible. Our company is built on the idea that diverse fields of study must come together to solve intractable problems. We have grand ambitions to create technology that will influence industry around the world.
Carbon is seeking a highly motivated, proactive employment and litigation attorney to join our dynamic team. The right person for this position must be a team player who is comfortable operating in a fast-paced, high-growth environment and is able to balance legal risk with business objectives. The role includes a broad spectrum of responsibilities, including partnering with our People Team to provide employment counseling and managing dispute related matters. There will also be an opportunity to work with Carbon's General Counsel to manage the operational aspects of the Legal Department for the right candidate. We are looking for someone who is always looking for ways to make us better, including implementing scalable processes.
Role and Responsibilities:
* Exercise strong business judgement in serving as an advisor and business partner to the People Team by providing employment and labor law advice for Carbon's operations in the US and internationally.
* Drafting and revising a variety of employment-related agreements, employment and ethics related policies, standards, training and business procedures designed to foster compliance with various federal, state and international laws and regulations, along with processes to monitor and assess compliance.
* Strategic management of litigation, pre-litigation, investigations and claims across the company, including IP, commercial and employment matters.
* Partner with the General Counsel to strategically manage the operating aspects of running the Legal Department, including tools, budget and priorities for the legal department
Experience and Qualifications:
* JD degree from an ABA accredited university.
* Must be a member in good standing of the California Bar or registered as a California In-House Attorney.
* Minimum of 10 years relevant employment and compliance experience in a law firm and/or corporate law department required.
* Extensive experience in a broad range of employment law areas, including employment counseling, litigation and claims management, non-competition and trade secret protection.
* Extensive experience in a broad range of litigation matters
* Some experience managing operations for a legal function is a plus
* Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
* Ability to be proactive and engaged, working well cross-functionally both internally and externally.
* Strong analytical and problem-resolution skills in the face of ambiguity. exceptional business judgment, with the ability to think strategically and give practical advice by balancing business needs with legal risks.
* Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills and the ability to interface with, and gain the respect of, stakeholders at all levels and functions of the company.
* Strong team player with the highest integrity and ethical standards.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Carbon, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
By clicking the 'APPLY FOR THIS JOB' button and submitting your job application, you agree you have reviewed the complete Privacy Notice for Employees, Independent Contractors and Job Applicants, which explains the categories of personal information we collect about you, the purposes for which the categories of personal information shall be used and your rights with respect to our use of such personal Information.