Sr SQL Server DBA
Employment Type: Full-Time
Senior SQL Server Database Administrator
November 16, 2020
Job Summary & Responsibilities
The Sr SQL Server Database Administrator is responsible for the security, uptime, performance, stability and recoverability of the SQL Server database platforms utilized by Brown & Toland. The accepted candidate must have a high degree of integrity, be well organized, accountable, self-motivated, detail oriented, and results focused. We are looking for an innovator, someone who can think outside of the box to achieve exceptional results.
* Own, operate, optimize and secure the business continuity program for all SQL Server servers and databases for the organization.
* Monitor, address and resolve database related issues as they arise in near real time.
* Measure and plan the capacity for production systems, recommending changes and standardize system configurations.
* Install and configure database system software plus third-party system tools, applications and products.
* Automate tasks such as installations, updates and maintenance routines.
* Provide production operations and support services, along with end user guidance on database security settings and configuration.
* Work closely with developers and business users to design and architect database solutions.
* Respond to and resolve job failures/production incidents as they arise and develop prevention plans for recurring incidents.
* Promptly notifies IT Management, Security & Compliance regarding breaches of security and compliance policies.
* Manage professional relationships and support schedules (where necessary) with internal technical partners and third-party vendors who provide additional technical staffing and both operational and project support.
* Expert level knowledge of SQL Server, SQL Server Reporting Services, SQL Server Integration Services and Power BI.
* Expert level knowledge of cloud-based SQL Server platforms.
* Expert level knowledge of running SQL Server on virtual machines.
* Sound knowledge of RDBMS concepts regarding database architecture
* Expert level knowledge of utilizing SQL Server Profiler for database tuning, identifying performance issues and resolving conflicts.
* Strong communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
* Experience with SentryOne (formerly SQL Sentry) a plus.
* This position does not have people management responsibilities.
* Required Education: Bachelor's degree in computer science or engineering or equivalent.
* Preferred Education: Master's degree in computer science or engineering or equivalent experience.
* 5 years in the health care industry.
* 10 years of experience with Microsoft SQL Server (2005 and newer) in an enterprise environment, 3-5 years in a senior or lead role.
* 10 or more years of experience managing mission critical OLTP database systems serving multi-terabyte databases.
* 10 or more years of experience maintaining and supporting complex SQL Server Integration Service packages and ETL processes and procedures.
* 10 or more years of experience with advanced TSQL coding and troubleshooting.
* Works cooperatively with Team members across the organization to achieve shared objectives
* Partners with Team Members to get work done
* Gains trust and support across the organization
* Regularly meets targets and metrics
* Pushes Team Members to set high standards and performance targets and exceed them
* Sets solid targets that drive results
* Contributes to a work climate where differences are valued and supported
* Applies Team Members diverse experiences, styles, backgrounds and perspectives
* Treats Team Members with kindness
* Acts fairly despite conflicting demands
* Behaves in a way that is consistent with what he/she says around honesty, ethics, and integrity; leads by example
* Presents truthful information even if not always favorable
* Introduces new ways of looking at problems
* Can take a creative idea and put it into practice
* Encourages diverse thinking to promote and nurture innovation
Requirement (direct from leveling guide)
Scope & Impact
Knowledge & Skill
* Seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of area of specialization
* Works on problems of diverse scope, requiring analysis and judgement
* Normally receives little instruction on day-to-day work
* Typically requires Bachelor's degree, 5+ years professional experience
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Activity: Sit: Continuously (more than 2/3 of the work shift)
* Activity: Stand: Occasionally (up to 1/3 of the work shift)
* Activity: Walk: Occasionally (up to 1/3 of the work shift)
* Motion: Bend/Twist: Up to 1/3 of time
* Motion: Carry/Lift: Up to 1/3 of time
* Motion: Reach: Up to 1/3 of time
* Motion: Squat: Up to 1/3 of time
* Use of Hands (Left/Right): General Motor Function
* Use of Hands (Left/Right): Precise Motor Function (Or Fine Manipulation)
* Use of Hands: Repetitive Motion: 1/3 or more of time
* Weight Lifted/Force Exerted: Up to 10 lbs: Up to 1/3 of time
* Work Environment: Special visual or auditory requirements including working with a computer terminal.