Associate Scientist / Senior Associate Scientist, Cancer Biology Immunology
Employment Type: Full-Time
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Tumor Microenvironment Thematic Research Center (TME TRC) is focused on developing therapeutic targets at the intersection of tumor, stromal and immune biology within the TME with the goal of enhancing responsiveness to checkpoint blockade and targeted therapies. Comprising of scientists across multiple disciplines we are responsible for the biology and translational science necessary to support drug development from target identification through to first in human studies.
The Associate/Sr. Associate Scientist will join the Cancer Biology research team within the Tumor Microenvironment Thematic Research Center (TME TRC) at Bristol Myers Squibb (BMS) in Redwood City, CA, and aid in the advancement of early stage therapeutic targets at the intersection of tumor genetics and immuno-biology. This team is composed of cancer biologists who work closely with immunologists/immuno-oncologists and stroma biologists focused on developing therapeutic targets integrated across the tumor microenvironment. Our mission is to provide transformative therapeutics to cancer patients that improve response rates and durability to this challenging disease.
The qualified candidate is a highly motivated, interactive, and creative individual who possesses the ability to work across a highly matrixed environment to advance preclinical drug development programs from target identification/validation through IND enabling activities. The candidate will be expected to effectively collaborate with colleagues in the oncology, immunology, immuno-oncology, protein engineering/antibody development and medicinal chemistry groups. The successful candidate will demonstrate clear and professional verbal and written communication, capable of presenting scientific results to multidisciplinary teams and key stakeholders.
* B.S. with 5+ years or M.S. with 2-5 years of relevant academic or industry experience with strong scientific knowledge and research experience in cancer biology, immunology, particularly T cell biology is required.
* Demonstrated independence in experimental design, execution, data analysis and troubleshooting is required.
* Hands on experience in immuno-oncology techniques, including multi-color flow cytometry, primary immune cell culture, and immune cell profiling post tumor dissociation is required.
* Hands on experience with a wide range of in vitro cellular and biochemical assays, including Western blotting, CRISPR gene editing, ELISA, IncuCyte, cytotoxicity assays, and RT-qPCR, is required.
* Experience with ex vivo pharmacology, including tissue processing for primary cell isolation and PD measurement is highly desired.
* Knowledge of or exposure to assays or assay cascades to identify and optimize drug candidates is desired.
* Experience in data mining through use of desktop tools/interfaces and public databases (e.g., UCSC genome Browser, CBIO, GTex, Oncoland etc) is highly desirable.
* Proficiency in utilizing software such as GraphPad Prism, FlowJo, Microsoft Office etc. for data analysis and figure generation is required.
* Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate and interact effectively with colleagues is required.
* Ability to mentor more junior scientists and colleagues on laboratory techniques and best practices is highly valued.
* Attention to detail with excellent organizational and record keeping skills is required.
* This position is lab based and is located in Redwood City, CA. There will be less than 10% travel.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.