Head of Payroll & Stock Administration
Employment Type: Full-Time
Over the next 10 years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy will dramatically change how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials will transform the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology will produce sustainable and ethical food. Benchling's mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this future, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research.
Benchling was founded by a team of MIT graduates and has raised funding from Benchmark, Andreessen Horowitz, Thrive Capital, and Y Combinator. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
The Director of Global Payroll and Stock Administration will manage the global payroll and equity teams at a hyper-growth SaaS company with people operations in the US, Switzerland, UK, Germany, France, Canada and expanding! This leader will be a key partner in developing and implementing strategies to systematically scale the payroll and equity operations efficiently while maintaining quality, accuracy, internal controls and compliance. This is a high impact position that requires a strong ability to foster outstanding relationships with employees and senior partners across multiple business entities and functions including HR, legal, tax, accounting, FP&A, etc. This role will report to the Corporate Controller.
* Oversee teams of domestic and international payroll and stock administration. Design and implement workflow and internal controls to ensure all payroll and stock transactions are processed accurately, timely and in compliance with local, state, country specific laws and regulations; and substantiated by sufficient set of underlying documentation and support.
* Recruit and develop the best in class talent that will be subject matter experts and points of contact for all internal and external payroll and stock administration inquiries.
* Develop and execute a strategic plan to scale and optimize the global payroll administration that can support the headcount growth at 2x each year and in new geo territories. Coordinate regional efforts towards global process standardization while allowing local flexibility when required.
* Monitor the latest payroll and wage laws and regulations to maintain tax and benefits compliance around deductions, withholdings, garnishments, classifications, employee mobility tracking, etc. Ensure quarterly and annual filings and reports are reviewed, approved and filed timely and accurately (941s, W2s, 1042s, etc.)
* Build a mature team that will own A-Z of global stock administration: Manage capitalization table and equity software; prepare and process monthly grants, exercises, repurchases, cancellations, filings; collaborate with legal in drafting and delivering stock agreements and board resolutions; advise on/process other equity transactions such as financing and secondary sale activities; analyze withholding/income tax and accounting implications on all stock transactions; reconcile monthly/quarterly/annual equity related transactions; develop training materials and educate employees on equity awards, exercises, 409A valuations, tax consequences, and other company programs, etc.
* Generate reports and support needed for audit, tax, and legal/regulatory filing including all aspects of financial reporting as it relates to equity plans (e.g. 83b elections, 3921s, 10Q, 10K, annual proxy, Forms 3, 4 and 5, etc.)
* Partner with HR, legal and FP&A to develop appropriate and feasible global compensation and equity plans including evergreen, refresher, performance-based, promotion-based, etc.
* Participate in designing and implementing internal controls and documentation in accordance with SOX and SEC compliance requirements (e.g. 701 disclosures, 10b5-1, etc.).
* Support the corporate accounting team by participating in month/quarter/year-end financial closing activities as well as external audits: Payroll journal entries, payroll and benefits related account reconciliations, translation of equity awards into stock-based compensation, earnings per share calculations, etc.
* Actively engage with cross functional leadership to keep abreast of the business objectives, priorities and strategies to enable collaborative and supportive relationships as well as provide value added services to each other.
* Lead, coach, mentor and train the team; take an active interest in their growth and develop the next generation of leaders.
* Lead or assist on special tasks and projects as needed (e.g. external/statutory/compliance audits and filings, entity set up, 409a valuation, investor requests, system implementation, etc.).
* 8+ years of progressive payroll and stock administration experience in multi-state and international operations, and 2+ years in people manager roles required
* Hands on experience at a publicly traded company required. Experience helping a company through the IPO desired
* CPP & CEP Level III certification desired
* Experience implementing payroll and equity plans in new countries and for acquired companies desired
* Deep knowledge of domestic and international equity instruments and plans, and various equity award types desired
* Proficiency in ADP Workforce Now and Carta (or other equity management platform) as systems administrators required
* Proficiency in MS Office Suite with intermediate skills in Excel including VLOOKUP, if functions, pivot tables, etc. desired
* Analytical, skeptical and curious; able to identify and report relevant risks and issues to stakeholders for a timely and appropriate resolution
* Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
* Versatile, enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and managing multiple projects. Demonstrate strong project management skills by proactively prioritizing tasks to meet deadlines and demands
* Concise and effective communicator with teammates and various levels of leadership as well as external contacts
* Resilient and reliable with strong work ethic
* Mature and professional to handle confidential data
* Empower through information. We explain the 'why' behind every decision, unless there are highly sensitive circumstances. We're honest about how we're doing, especially in difficult times. We believe that sharing information builds trust and enables better decision-making.
* Rely on tenacity. Hard work is one of the greatest factors to determine success and is fully under our control. We must make the most of every day by bringing the highest level of determination. Dreaming big is not enough.
* Raise the bar. Pushing ourselves and others to improve will be uncomfortable and at times result in failure. However, it's critical to our success. We're dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels challenged to improve.
* Build a lever. We choose to build tools and infrastructure that will help others make world-changing innovations. There's less glory in it, but in the words of Archimedes, 'Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.'
* COVID-19 Perks updates
PERKS AND BENEFITS
* Work with a talented yet humble team
* Competitive compensation & equity package
* Monthly health & wellness stipend
* Medical, dental, and vision insurance
* Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
* *$1,000 work-from-home stipend
* In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations. To support remote work conditions, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000 upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.