Sr. Operational Risk Manager
Employment Type: Full-Time
At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We're investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people's lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we're a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
Operational Risk Manager Senior is responsible for leading a team of professional Operational Risk Managers to provide Oversight, Credible Challenge, Operational Risk Program Implementation, development of the Independent Views of the Risks and Quality of Risk Management for Corporate & Commercial Banking and Small & Medium Enterprises. Responsible for the Operational Risk program or part of the program, which could include: reporting, testing, development of new tools and methodologies, program or project management, leading special projects, as well as program implementation as it applies to the business lines or the overall Bank
Essential Job Functions
* Within assignment has a broad range of independence and ensures the Operational Risk Program is implemented and functioning effectively to report on the business line risk posture, control environment and that there is effective management of the applicable risks. Develops awareness of operational risk framework in business lines/functions (First Line of Defense) & fosters its implementation, partnering with BL/function to provide awareness of permanent control framework.
* Oversees, and manages the check & challenge function for operational risk activities, including RCSA, Loss Data; identifying risks, evaluating their potential impact and reviewing the strengths and weaknesses of existing controls. Tracks resolution of issues. Advises business line management on opportunities for improvement and areas for awareness.
* Provide formal reporting on the state of operational risks to business line senior management and Group Executives on ORMs independent view of the risk and control environment, as needed.
* Participates in evaluating new products/services (i.e. New Activities), changes to the channels through which products are offered, and technology impact assessments for their impacts on the bank's or LOB's operational risk profile. Provides oversight and support for approval procedures and guidelines on operational risk limits by type of product and/or transaction; and establishes management and administrative procedures to ensure adherence to policies.
* Foster relationships with other risk partners (Third Party Management, Business Continuity, Fraud Prevention, Model Risk, Technology Risk, etc.). Work with those other risk functions to develop and implement controls that mitigate risks. Promotes efficiency, lack of duplication and fosters an overall risk management team.
* Provide proper governance and oversight of overall Operational Risk profiles, participating in sub-Internal Control Committee for oversite of the execution of the operational risk management standards and procedures; emerging risk trends, KRIs, incident reporting, timely closure of audit findings, self-identified issues, open action plans, etc.
* Advises business unit managers on operational risk management issues. Recommends possible solutions, and works with the business to designate appropriate and timely remediation.
* Directs a key segment of LOB Operational Risk activities in accordance with the Bank's operational risk management policies.
* Partner with the business in the development and implementation changes to standards, systems and processes used within the operational risk framework. Ensure understanding and accessibility for the 1st Line, of all changes, communications and requirements.
* May manage & develop direct reports to effectively execute the Operational Risk program and grow their career path
* Provide strategic input and/or implement initiatives to mature the Bank's Operational Risk program; including building 1LOD business relationships.
Work Experience Requirements
* 10 or more year's directly related or combined Operational Risk Management and Internal Audit experience within the financial services industry.
* 15 or more years' experience working in Retail/Commercial Banking, Financing Services or Broker Dealer Services.
* Requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area. Typically has advanced knowledge and skills within a specific technical or professional discipline with understanding of the impact of work on other areas of the organization.
* Excellent written/oral communication skills; presenting to Executive Management and/or Committees.
* Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration - required.
* Master's/Advanced Degree in Business, Finance or Risk Management preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.