Employment Type: Full-Time
This is your opportunity to join AXIS Capital - a trusted global provider of specialty lines insurance and reinsurance. We stand apart for our outstanding client service, intelligent risk taking and superior risk adjusted returns for our shareholders. We also proudly maintain an entrepreneurial, disciplined and ethical corporate culture. As a member of AXIS, you join a team that is among the best in the industry.
This newly created position of Senior Underwriter, Environmental is one of two roles which require individuals to develop, underwrite and manage a book of complex environmental business predominantly for the South and Central Regions. The ideal candidates will be located in Texas or other Midwest locations, and have a following of retail relationships that can add value to the AXIS book of business. The best candidates will be able to effectively manage day to day workload assignments while contributing to longer term strategic initiatives.
* Responsibility to develop new environmental business and grow the business profitably.
* Review, analyze, accept, and decline environmental risks to ensure profitability.
* Market and underwrite a portfolio of environmental liability business including contractor's pollution liability, pollution legal liability, package environmental policies (general liability, contractors pollution liability and professional liability) and environmental excess business.
* Develop and manage broker and intermediary relationships along with sales and marketing.
* Develop internal relationships with other profit centers and distribution staff.
* Work to become proficient in other related insurance products offered by AXIS.
* Assist junior staff with underwriting referrals and training.
Desired Experience & Qualifications:
* 4+ years of Environmental Liability insurance experience is desired along with a deep knowledge of environmental brokers, environmental coverages and related ancillary coverages.
* Strong knowledge of underwriting primary casualty and excess casualty important.
* Proven marketing abilities and established relationships with wholesale and retail environmental brokers.
* Perform regular broker visits on timely and frequent basis via remote capabilities and in person when possible.
* Bachelor's degree (or higher) preferably in engineering or science related discipline.
* Strong record of underwriting profitable business.
* Strong analytical and quantitative skills for risk and insurance metrics.
* Excellent communications skills and the ability to work across multiple areas of the company and industries.
* Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and remotely as needed.
* Candidate should be positive, energetic and possess strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills; be well organized, a team player and have strong negotiating skills.
* Moderate travel as required for meetings and marketing when possible in the future.