Graduate Advanced Technology & Research Analyst
Employment Type: Part-Time
**START HERE, GO ANYWHERE!**
Want to work for a company that invests in innovation and people who catalyze impact in the built environment? Arup is proud to be recognized by Fast Company in their third annual Best Workplaces for Innovators list , which honors businesses and organizations that demonstrate a deep commitment to encouraging innovation at all levels.
We find solutions for some of the world's most complex problems. From climate action to social value, we consider the broadest impacts of our work. We strive to build a more sustainable, resilient, and equitable future. This purpose shapes our culture and has made us leaders in sustainable development. You'd be joining our multi-disciplinary design teams focusing on technical excellence and innovative solutions that create a better future for people, places, and the planet.
During your career at Arup, you'll have the chance to engage in a fulfilling career and work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You'll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
This position will be with the Advanced Technology and Research (AT+R) team in San Francisco. The AT+R team is a leader for technical innovation at Arup, creating new services and digital tools from cutting edge-technologies and methods, to advance Arup into new markets which usher in a safer, healthier, sustainable, and resilient future. We are a multi-disciplinary team with deep technical expertise. We apply first principles of engineering and leverage our digital expertise to address our clients' burning questions and develop inventive, creative, and practical solutions. We can virtually simulate almost anything in the built environment to predict performance impacts and implications for an organization, communities, and their people, enabling us to gain important insights and provide strategic advice of the highest technical caliber for confident decision-making.
We are looking to hire a candidate with a mechanical engineering background for the Building Physics division of our team. The Building Physics division is involved in a large variety of cross-disciplinary projects and pushes industry boundaries in performance-based design. You would be primarily involved in computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modeling, thermodynamic modeling, ray tracing analysis, and the development of project-specific computational tools and software.
**RESPONSIBILITIES OF THIS SPECIFIC ROLE WILL INCLUDE, BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:**
- Collaborate with other engineers and consultants on challenging designs
- Contribute / Lead to the development of digital tools and automated processes
- Use and develop FEA and CFD simulations to help decision making
- Venture into a diverse field of engineering consulting, aiming to become a specialist in:
- User centric design / analysis
- Sustainable and passive designs / analysis
- Risk + Resilience
- Contribute / Lead subject specific research
For over seven decades Arup has been at the forefront of the most ambitious and innovative design and engineering. From concert halls to national stadiums, renewable energy to driverless cars, we continue to add to that history every day. Notable projects from our ATR discipline include:
- Las Vegas High Roller
- Mexico City International Airport
- Gerald Desmond Bridge replacement, Los Angeles
- Stanford Climate Risk and Resilience Study
- 181 Fremont Tower, San Francisco
- Salesforce Transit Center, San Francisco
- Kaiser Permanente San Diego
- Northeastern University laboratory
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Headquarters, Seattle
- University of British Columbia Seismic Resiliency Study (Yes this one has been written up)
- Seattle Space Needle renovation
- Guggenheim Abu Dhabi
- Multi-hazard Disaster Risk Assessment, Asian Development Bank, Tongatapu, Kingdom of Tonga
- Judicial Council of California, Courthouse Renovation Feasibility Study
- Resilience-based Earthquake Design Initiative (REDi™) Rating System
- Bespoke Electric Maintenance Vehicle Concept Design and Specification, Michigan
- Flight 93 National Memorial, Pennsylvania
- Railcar Blast and Human Injury Research
FLEXIBLE WORKING - We believe that flexible arrangements create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people. Options include alternative schedules, part-time or reduced hours schedule, and/or the ability to work remotely for a portion of your work week.
Arup is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. I ndividuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation. Should you require an accommodation in the job application or interview process please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .