Employment Type: Full-Time
Job Title: Collector 1 Department: Collections
Supervisory Role: No FLSA: Non-Exempt
Supervisor's Title: Collections Supervisor
Position Purpose and Objectives
The Collector 1 consistently demonstrates a high degree of empathy and a desire to provide a resolution for Members in challenging circumstances. Proactively places outbound calls to Members to collect on delinquent loans/Credit Cards/Commercial and Negative Shares to minimize loan/share losses to the Credit Union while maintaining favorable Member relations.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
* Personally, provides exceptional Member service; uses Service Standards in every work-related interaction.
* Actively participates in meeting the goals of the department and the Credit Union.
* Proactively places outbound calls to Members to negotiate payment arrangements in an effort to collect overdue amounts owed on delinquent loans/shares.
* Answers inbound calls to help support our Members and internal Team Members resolve issues relating to collections.
* Documents contact with Members in the Credit Union's core operating systems, Akcelerant and/or Symitar.
* Negotiates payment arrangements or solutions that will help Members bring their past due balances current and resolve issues relative to delinquency.
* Follows up and monitors delinquent loans/shares for broken promises to pays.
* Collaborates with the EFT/ACH Department to resolve ACH exceptions.
* Provides backup as needed in posting transfers and checks.
* Recommends one (1) and two (2) month extensions based on budgeting and history of account.
* Assigns accounts for field chase, repossession, legal and skip agents; updates Akcelerant and/or Symitar with results.
* Provides Call Center overflow coverage.
* Reviews and approves reopening Member accounts.
* Performs light skip tracing; searches free websites, loan applications, signature cards, etc. to find delinquent Members.
* Maintains a working knowledge of Bank Secrecy Act (BSA); Anti-Money Laundering (AML); Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC); Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA); Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, Rosenthal act, Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and complies with all laws and regulations applicable to area of responsibility.
* Regular and predictable attendance and punctuality.
* Other duties as assigned and deemed necessary by Supervisor to achieve the goals of the department and the Credit Union.
Positions directly supervised: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Competencies for this position
* Accuracy/Attention to Detail.
* Calm under Pressure.
* Communication Proficiency.
* Critical and Analytical Thinking.
* Decision Making.
* Empathy and Understanding.
* Ethical Conduct.
* Effective Negotiation Skills.
* Knowledge Retention.
* Member & Team Member Service Focus.
* Multi-tasking in a Fast-Paced Environment.
* Organizational Skills.
* Problem Solving/Analysis.
* Sense of Urgency.
* Technical Capacity.
* Telephone/Email Etiquette.
* Time Management.
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position
Working knowledge of financial products/services, along with working knowledge of recovery and legal collection remedies; bankruptcy, foreclosure and repossession laws; presentation skills; effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills; proficient negotiation skills; ability to analyze credit files and make prudent recommendations based on the analysis; experience in managing complaints and objections effectively and professionally; ability to work effectively in a team environment; exceptional time management skills; intermediate computer skills including Microsoft Office Product of Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and navigating the internet. Ability to perform accurate data input into a variety of software programs; basic typing and 10-key calculator skills; strong attention to detail and logical thought process; teamwork skills; assertiveness skills. Current working knowledge of State/Federal consumer financial protection laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures; excellent customer service skills; analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to make sound judgments; organization skills. Strong initiative, ability to anticipate issues proactively. Ability to succeed in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment. Ability to use an automatic dialer to make outbound calls while also taking inbound calls, assisting Members and notating accounts simultaneously. Works with other departmental reporting to resolve outstanding debt (for example, the ACH report). Must be able to change quickly with the needs of a growing company. Must be detail oriented. Discreet, able to handle confidential and proprietary information appropriately. High level of integrity. Able to maintain a flexible schedule and willingness to work overtime as needed. Ability to work weekends as needed or scheduled.
Ability to work independently, yet possess communication skills for professional interactions at all employment levels; ability to perform standardized and statistical computation; and the ability to manage and complete tasks and projects with assigned deadlines.
Ability to assume responsibility, display initiative, exercise good judgement and make and act upon decisions with minimal supervision. Ability to make sound business decision on complex issues; knowledge of Federal Regulations and compliance; Ability to provide courteous, knowledgeable and professional member service both in person and on the telephone. Ability to work in a high demand, deadline sensitive atmosphere; ability to be flexible and able to work in a focused multi-task environment; monitors and checks work for precision, clarity and completeness; produces quality results; ability to take responsibility to own learning and development by acquiring and refining of technical and professional skills needed in job-related areas. Ability to work cooperatively with others as part of a formal or informal team to accomplish Credit Union goals; ability to respect the needs, ideas, and contributions of others, ability to follow up on Member complaints, questions or requests.
Education/Experience: High school diploma or its equivalent; one (1) to three (3) years of experience in collections, customer service, or telemarketing in the financial services field is preferred.
Compliance: Ability to maintain a proficient knowledge and compliance of all applicable rules and regulations under BSA/AML and OFAC regulations. This includes, but is not limited to: Bank Secrecy Act; SAFE Act; Anti Money Laundering; Regulation CC; and Regulation Z; Rosenthal act, Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA); Fair Debt Collections Act (FDCPA); Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. Maintain compliance with Federal laws and regulations set forth by the National Credit Union Administration and other regulatory agencies.
Language Skills: Ability to communicate and understand written and oral language and the ability to effectively present information. Ability to read and interpret documents such as policy/procedures.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, and percentages. Ability to perform basic math skills to include adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral or schedule form.
Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to be bonded; ability to use office equipment such a personal computer and calculator. Able to be punctual and have regular attendance. Ability to listen to others and provide/receive constructive feedback in a coaching/development setting. The ability to exhibit positive behavior by interacting with Members and Team Members in a manner consistent with our warm, caring and friendly culture.
Certificates, licenses, etc. required for this position: None
The position operates in a clerical office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
Arrowhead is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by a Team Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. They are subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the Team Member is regularly required to do the following:
* Sit at a desk for long periods of time.
* Intermittent standing, sitting, walking, bending, stooping and neck flexing.
* Intermittent pushing, pulling and reaching above, at and below shoulder height.
* Repetitive motion- frequent keyboarding and mouse usage requiring the fingers to make small movements, and the use of hands and wrists.
* Manual dexterity.
* Simple grasping by using fingers and palm on an object.
* Speaking - Convey detailed or important instructions or ideas accurately and efficiently.
* Carrying or transporting an object by hand. The ability to carry and lift files up to 10 pounds.
* Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
* Must be available to work all business hours Monday through Saturday, and maintain a flexible schedule for the availability to work overtime when necessary.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (909) 379-6643.