Trusted Kernel Manager
Employment Type: Full-Time
Help Apple secure the world's most advanced consumer devices, trusted by over a billion users to protect their personal and professional data.
The Core OS group is looking for a software engineering manager to lead Secure Enclave development for Apple's operating systems.
The Trusted Kernel team works with software and silicon design partners to develop a secure, stable, and high performance platform for applications that protect our users' most valuable data. We're regularly called on to create robust hardware/software designs that protect our users under the most challenging threat models. Working with a small number of client teams, we focus our efforts on applications where we can provide meaningful security protections for our customers. We constantly iterate on our entire hardware and software stack to set new standards for quality and security.
* Genuine passion for and deep understanding of software security
* Experience leading a low-level systems software team
* Experience with firmware, device driver, or kernel development
* Solid understanding of operating system fundamentals
* Knowledge of embedded hardware and CPU architecture
* Strong communication skills
* Proven track record of successful and timely product delivery
* Evidence of driving technical innovation
The Trusted Kernel team is responsible for the development and evolution of sepOS, the microkernel-based operating system for Apple's Secure Enclave. The Secure Enclave supports key Apple security technologies including Data Protection, Face ID, Touch ID, Apple Pay, and Mac Boot Policy.
As the Trusted Kernel Manager, you will:
* Lead and manage a team of innovative secure OS engineers developing mission-critical low-level software * Develop and execute on a roadmap to continually improve the security of the sepOS software stack, including the microkernel, userspace runtime, drivers, APIs, and testing tools * Work with cross-functional teams to design, plan, and deliver high quality software features for our operating system * Partner with Platform Architecture and Silicon Engineering to define future Secure Enclave hardware architecture * Nurture a team quality culture focused on robust designs, automated testing, and data-driven iterative improvement * Strengthen the team by hiring and developing top engineering talent
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field
* While nobody is expected to have experience with all of these, we're looking for candidates eager to learn and innovate in these areas:
* * Microkernel and capability-based OS design
* * Modern programming languages such as Swift or other similar languages
* * Software vulnerabilities, exploitation, and mitigation
* * Compiler-assisted security tooling including sanitizers, fuzzers, and static analysis
* * Cryptographic applications including secure boot, attestation, and storage encryption
* * Formal verification of operating system software