ISE, SIML - Data Program Manager
Employment Type: Full-Time
Do you believe Machine Learning can change the world? Do you think it can transform the way millions of people capture, discover and share the most special moments of their lives? We truly believe it can!
The System Intelligence and Machine Learning (SIML) group crafts machine learning solutions to extract high level structured information from images, videos and text shipping on all Apple platforms (macOS, iOS, tvOS, watchOS). Examples include face recognition, scene classification, OCR, handwriting recognition, and natural language - as well as the support for internal tools. The group combines research and development in a dynamic and engaging environment.
Within SIML, our Data Team designs and builds high quality datasets at scale. It also assesses the robustness of features powered by ML. At the heart of machine learning, data defines how Apple features and products operate and what is the final user experience that will affect millions of our customers. This is an exciting time to join us: grow fast, and have an impact on multiple key features on your first day at Apple!
* Experience as a Project or Program Manager, leading cross functional teams building technology solutions
* Excels in relationship building and has shown success in influencing without direct authority
* Has a consistent track record in defining processes and leading teams in executing on them
* Has solid understanding of software development processes and standard methodologies (eg Agile), of project management tools and of data analytics tools
* Is self-motivated and enthusiastic, enjoys solving problems with teammates, and has demonstrated creative and critical thinking capabilities
* Possesses outstanding verbal and written communication skills, tailoring communication style and distilling relevant information for multiple audiences (engineers, managers, execs)
* Demonstrates excellent attention to detail and enjoys both detailed, hands-on work and high-level critical thinking
* Knows how to clarify where there is ambiguity by developing plans, establishing priorities, and anticipating risks
Our team focuses on data acquisition, data science, annotation, and robustness analysis. Each year, we power dozens of features and work closely with ML teams across the entire company. With the fast growth of data needs, collaboration with key partners is crucial (engineering teams, program office, leadership, finance), as are coordination and continuous improvement within our team. As a program manager in charge of these functions, you will play a critical role in the future of machine learning in Apple's software organization. If you thrive in a constantly evolving and fast paced environment, have a strong sense of ownership, and know how to foster positive relationships and processes for the success of the entire team, we want to talk to you!
This requires to: -Manage relationship with key partners to assess their needs, ensure satisfaction and drive solutions to improve operational excellence -Coordinate operational, financial and administrative activities and compile information to facilitate decision making (eg allocate resources, prioritize requests) -Own program management of data support for a subset of critical features (assess needs & dependencies, build a roadmap, plan and track work across data functions, report status), and define scalable processes to manage other requests -Build status reporting structure to highlight accomplishments, risks, and progress against plans Identify interdependencies; drive the quick and efficient resolution of program issues -Design and promote processes and tools that improve team coordination, efficiency and scalability -Define, measure and report team KPIs to reinforce accountability and increase transparency -Improve team visibility at all levels of the software organization
Education & Experience
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related field
* A background in Data & Analytics and/or Machine Learning is a major plus