GNSS RF System Architect
Employment Type: Full-Time
Would you like to join Apple's growing wireless silicon development team? Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) space vehicles transmit the power of a lightbulb, they are 13000 miles away, and are moving four kilometers per second. The received signals are commonly one hundred times weaker than cosmic microwave background radiation left over from the Big Bang and arrive next to interfering signals ten billion times stronger, just few MHz away.
Our GNSS team is part of Apple's wireless SoC team. We are a vertically integrated engineering team spanning RF, mixed signal analog design, systems engineering, design verification, RTL design, firmware and software engineering, test, and validation. Our focus is on highly energy efficient and robust GNSS receiver design. We develop GNSS technology that touches hundreds of millions of lives, something we are passionate about. We'd like you to consider being a part of our team.
Apple's RF Systems Engineering team is looking for a hardworking, independent engineer with a proven track record in the area of transceiver systems engineering.
As a GNSS RF Systems Architect, you will work closely with Platform Architecture, RF design and PHY teams to assess, design and drive RF system innovations with focus on leading-edge performance under real-life conditions and clear differentiation from other competitors.
* 4+ years of proven experience in RF, including receiver system architecture design.
* Expertise in RF System concepts and procedures for wireless systems including calibrations, analyzing receiver chains from antenna to BB I/F and translating top level requirements into specification items for transceiver building blocks and RF components (e.g. LNA, Mixer, PLL, ADC and Filters).
* In-depth knowledge of wireless radio standards (Connectivity, Cellular or GNSS), regulatory including their implications on system specifications.
* Prior experience in RF performance criteria and concepts such as EIRP, AGC, noise figure, sensitivity/de-Sense, phase noise, EVM, spectral mask, spurious, harmonics, intermodulation, s-parameters, Smith charts, and tuning networks.
* Strong analytical and interpersonal skills with an ability to thrive in a multi-functional environment.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Translate system level and performance requirements into requirements for the RX system including the breakdown to block level and component level. - Run static analysis for specific scenarios defined by architecture team. - Select, Simulate and specify RF architectures for the GNSS receivers. - Drive the further development of the simulation environment and modeling. - Prepare specifications as input for RFIC design team and FW team. - Analyze the receiver chain by means of simulations (e.g. MATLAB, ADS) and level plan analysis. - Identify and analyze critical requirements, and provide assessments with respect to critical metric impact, timeline and risks. - Solve sophisticated and interdisciplinary problems that are related to the GNSS receive system. - Bring up the RF System in lab, run the procedures which were defined by you, check its correctness and come up with solutions and workarounds when needed.
Education & Experience
BSEE is required. MSEE or Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering or equivalent is preferred.