Senior Product Manager , Recommendations
Employment Type: Full-Time
When you join Ancestry, you join a human-centered company where every person's story is important. We believe that by discovering the struggles and triumphs of our past, we can foster deeper bonds and more meaningful connections among families and communities. Our talented team of scientists, engineers, genealogists, historians, and storytellers is dedicated to empowering customers around the world from all backgrounds on their journeys of personal discovery.
With more than 27+ billion digitized global historical records, 100 million family trees, and 18 million people in our growing AncestryDNA database, Ancestry helps customers discover their family story and gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Passionate about dedicating your work to enriching people's lives? You belong at Ancestry.
Ancestry is looking for a phenomenal Sr. Product Manager to join our team! This role will focus on delivering customer value through integrating data science and machine learning into the Ancestry.com platform. This role will be responsible for driving continued customer value through one of the most unique data sets in the world. You will work with industry-leading data scientists and engineers to make the Ancestry experience faster, easier, and more fun for people to uncover unique discoveries about themselves and their families.
As a member of the Genealogy Product Team, you will lead by identifying product opportunities, creating a vision and roadmap, validating that vision through rapid prototyping, and partnering across the organization to bring your vision to market. This position requires an analytical mindset that can turn big problems into simple, scalable solutions. While this is largely a technical position, you must understand and champion the end-user at all times, and must be able to communicate effectively with engineers, scientists, executives, and other stakeholders.
This position reports to the Product Lead for the Recommendations Product Group and can be based in either the Lehi, UT or San Francisco, CA offices.
What you will do
* Establish a deep understanding of our current platform technologies
* Create user stories and other required input and direction to the Scrum team; own the backlog and keep the team fully engaged building the highest priority features and enhancements
* Drive continual product improvements and inform the product roadmap with new ideas based on ongoing customer research, market/competitive analysis, and product performance indicators
* Develop and evangelize the vision for your product, short-term and long-term
* Build strong working relationships and alignment with peers in product, data science, engineering, legal, and marketing
* Define and communicate clear success criteria for each release
* Drive feature development and innovations that delight customers and enable rich, frictionless product experiences.
* Establish a framework that ensures we focus on the right priorities with the largest potential impact.
* Work collaboratively with a cross-functional team to deliver customer value on a rapid and regular cadence; learn quickly from quantitative and qualitative feedback; iterate approach with urgency based on learnings
Who you are...
* 5+ years of technical product management experience with a proven track record of shipping great products experience
* Experience working with complex software systems, large data sets, and machine learning
* Familiarity with agile software development, data-driven iteration/innovation, Recommendation Systems, Big Data architecture highly valued
* Deeply curious about data science, big data, and genealogy.
* Driven to find answers to questions learn Ancestry's systems
* Self-starter and able to work well with individuals at all levels and across functions
* Execution oriented and highly organized
* Natural ability to lead through influence
* Excellent research and data analysis skills combined with an obsession for making data-based decisions
* A deeply strategic-minded person who can absorb data easily and turn that data into actionable plans
* Strong engineering understanding and communication skills to clearly and thoroughly define new features
* Strong writing skills to clearly articulate a vision/objectives and influence others towards them
* Fluent in the language and methods of a fast-paced, agile, data-driven culture.
* Obsessed with customer understanding and measurable success
* Effective communications skills, presentation techniques, meeting mechanics, and team-building skills
* Nice to have: Familiarity with entity resolution, search systems, graph technologies, and/or Big Data technologies (EMR, Spark, etc.)
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.