Senior Data Scientist, Computer Vision
Employment Type: Full-Time
When you join Ancestry, you join a human-centered company where every person's story is important. We believe that by discovering the struggles and triumphs of our past, we can foster deeper bonds and more meaningful connections among families and communities. Our talented team of scientists, engineers, genealogists, historians, and storytellers is dedicated to empowering customers around the world from all backgrounds on their journeys of personal discovery.
With more than 27+ billion digitized global historical records, 100 million family trees, and 18 million people in our growing AncestryDNA database, Ancestry helps customers discover their family story and gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Passionate about dedicating your work to enriching people's lives? You belong at Ancestry.
We are hiring a Sr. Data Scientist with Computer Vision expertise to join our centralized Data Science & Machine Learning Team. Reporting to our VP of Data Science, you will be a leading contributor on a team bringing together advanced degrees and expertise solving Ancestry's toughest and most exciting data science challenges. You will have access to Ancestry's unique content collections and data spanning decades and centuries across a variety of media channels. Your mission is to mine, extract and organize information from these collections to create user experiences to inform, enlighten, and delight customers. You will have the potential to be fully remote (some states excluded).
What you will do...
* Use Computer Vision and Natural Language Processing (CV-NLP) methods and expertise to build models that extract and organize information from billions of historical and genealogical records.
* Build models that promote product development, customer success, and content creation across our Family History business.
* Work with teams and partners across the company providing data science support for multiple projects.
* Advocate for a data-driven culture and push long-term value creation through development of outstanding data science capabilities.
Who you are...
* Ph.D. in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics or other technical fields.
* 5+ years related professional experience
* Expert level in machine learning, computer vision, and deep learning
* Excellent project management and written skills
* Experience translating requirements from partners into detailed implementation plans
* Experience completing multiple data science projects end-to-end; from idea generation, objective formulation, to implementation and deliverables
* Experience understanding and implementing published models and methods for practical application and real-world problems.
* Experience in document image processing i.e.: computer vision methods, image classification, object detection, segmentation, layout analysis, redaction, handwriting recognition.
* Preference for experience building and training models with deep learning frameworks like TensorFlow and Pytorch.
* Strong proficiency in Python and related imaging tools and libraries, Java and multi-threaded programming preferred
* Preference for current familiarity with leading trends and advances in document analysis and recognition, and experience with cloud (AWS)
Helping people discover their story is at the heart of ours. Ancestry is the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, harnessing a powerful combination of information, science and technology to help people discover their family history and stories that were never possible before. Ancestry's suite of products includes: AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find a Grave, Archives.com, and Rootsweb. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.