Principal Designer, UX
Employment Type: Full-Time
When you join Ancestry, you join a human-centered company where every person's story is important. We believe that by discovering the struggles and triumphs of our past, we can foster deeper bonds and more meaningful connections among families and communities. Our talented team of scientists, engineers, genealogists, historians, and storytellers is dedicated to empowering customers around the world from all backgrounds on their journeys of personal discovery.
With more than 27+ billion digitized global historical records, 100 million family trees, and 18 million people in our growing AncestryDNA database, Ancestry helps customers discover their family story and gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Passionate about dedicating your work to enriching people's lives? You belong at Ancestry.
About our Ancestry UX Team
UX and design is at the heart of everything we do to empower the emotionally complex journeys of personal discovery that our customers experience when engaged with our product. We are passionate and excited to bring epic data sets to life for our customers so they can learn about themselves and their family history through trees, historical records, and DNA, not to mention, community, collaboration, and conversation. We encourage each other to take risks, to continue pushing for innovative ways to bring everyone's rich stories to life
What you'll do...
* Envision and create the future of the Ancestry family history product by collaborating with cross-functional teams and inspiring each other to build profound experiences for our customers.
* Guide the UX and visual design efforts from start to finish - from problem definition to design implementation
* Partner with product managers on developing product strategy and definition
* Translate quantitative data and qualitative insights into design solutions
* Craft core deliverables and artifacts (e.g. workflow diagrams, sitemaps, content inventories, user flows, wireframes, final design, and navigation systems)
* Participate in generative research and comprehensive user testing
* Collaborate with other designers to maintain design consistency and cohesion
* Set the bar for quality of execution
* Advocate for, shape, and scope design opportunities
What we are looking for...
* You have an awe-inspiring portfolio of desktop and mobile digital products and experiences
* You are a pragmatic visionary who places the customer experience at the top of their list of priorities and is skilled at articulating that vision to internal stakeholders
* Organization and problem-solving skills and the ability to translate ambiguity into insights and bias for action
* An person who can transitions easily between high-level strategic thinking and detailed execution, influencing design across the company
* You are enthusiastic about defining a vision and strategy for advancing design into new areas (e.g. conversational UI, wearables, machine learning, AI)
* 10 years of fearless experience designing for web-based and mobile customer experiences (agency or client side)
* You are a systems-level design thinker and excited to distill complex workflows into simple and elegant solutions
Who you are...
* 10+ years of industry experience as a UX designer, interaction designer, or similar design-related role
* Experience collaborating with product leadership, design managers, and cross-functional stakeholders
* Experience creating wireframes to illustrate complex web applications and workflows
* An online portfolio demonstrating samples of design deliverables (personas, journey maps, wireframes, and prototypes) and the associated customer outcomes
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.