Associate Scientist 2, Automated Strain Engineering
Employment Type: Full-Time
At Amyris, we develop custom microbes and associated processes that transform renewable, plant-based sugars into high-value molecules through industrial-scale fermentation. Our technology provides a sustainable alternative to traditional chemical manufacturing and delivers products that directly impact millions of lives. We are a team of pragmatic idealists who are using breakthrough science to deliver sustainable solutions for a growing world.
We are searching for an experienced Associate Scientist to support the continued operation, optimization, and expansion of the world's most advanced strain engineering platform. Our team has developed an integrated pipeline that facilitates the construction, validation, and transformation of thousands of DNA assemblies each week. This pipeline enables our scientists to construct engineered microbial strains at a pace that is unmatched in our industry. The Associate will be responsible for executing automated molecular biology protocols, reporting results to research teams, and continually optimizing and improving pipeline operations. We favor candidates who thrive in collaborative, team-oriented environments and are passionate about the Amyris mission.
* Operating multiple automation platforms (e.g., liquid handlers) and following molecular biology protocols to assemble DNA, transform microbial hosts, and validate engineered strains.
* Preparing and testing reagents and materials including media, buffers, and enzymes
* Managing and coordinating complex experimental schedules within a broader team
* Maintaining, analyzing, and reporting on data relating to operational processes
* Troubleshooting and improving automated processes
* Assisting with the development of new automated molecular biology protocols and applications
* Interfacing with interdisciplinary teams in Biology, Software Engineering, and Automation to optimize and improve processes
* Maintaining a safe work environment
* B.S. degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, or a related discipline
* 2+ years experience in industry or educational equivalent (e.g., M.S. degree in relevant discipline)
* We favor candidates with technical training in biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, chemistry, (bio)chemical engineering, or a related field. Prior experience working in a laboratory setting is strongly preferred, as is experience in the field of microbial genome engineering and/or synthetic biology. We prefer Associates with experience in some or all of the following areas:
* Familiarity with automated liquid handling robots
* Experience with molecular biology techniques including PCR, restriction digest analysis, plasmid construction, DNA sequence analysis, and microbial transformation (bacteria, yeast)
* Familiarity with concepts in statistics, tools to analyze data (Excel, Minitab, R, Spotfire), and manufacturing principles such as 5S and lean.
* Basic proficiency in coding (e.g, Python, R, or SQL) is desirable
* Experience writing, optimizing, and following complicated protocols and SOPs
* Capability to manage multiple independent processes and experiments within a single day
* Working in cross-disciplinary, collaborative teams
* Flexible schedule including occasional evening and weekend work
At Amyris, we believe that diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) is essential to our core values. We embrace and encourage an equity-minded work culture, knowing that it is the driving force of innovation that positively impacts our employees, consumers, and communities. And for Amyris, a sense of belonging is what drives our mission forward and is the foundation of everything we do, ensuring a healthier, more sustainable future for us all.
Make Good, No Compromise.
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris' molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 ('CCPA'), Amyris is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants ('Applicants') about the personal information we collect about you when you apply to a job on this site.
As an Applicant, you have the right to know and understand the categories of personal information we collect about you, and the purposes for which the categories of personal information shall be used, pursuant to the CCPA.
By clicking the 'APPLY FOR THIS JOB' button below and submitting your job application, you agree you have reviewed the complete Privacy Notice for Employees, Independent Contractors and Job Applicants.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact Amyris at email@example.com
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company's gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.