Director - Structural Biology
Compensation: $105,633.33 - $171,740.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Loading some great jobs for you...
Amgen is a leading global biotechnology company, with a mission to serve patients around the world. As a science-based, patient-focused organization, we discover and develop innovative therapies to treat serious illnesses. Our medicines have made a dramatic difference in the lives of millions.
We are looking for a motivated and dedicated structural biologist to join as our US Structural Biology Team Lead. Major accountabilities associated with this role include:
- Provide leadership and expertise in structural biology and lead the US structural biology team to contribute to drug discovery projects using X-ray crystallography and cryo-EM techniques
- Closely interact with colleagues in protein technology, biochemistry and biophysics, computational and medicinal chemistry and other functional groups to solve project specific problems, evaluate outcome and positively impact project goals, directions and progress.
- Identify critical needs in collaboration with broad functional teams within R&D.
- Remain current with structural biology technology development and formulate structural biology strategies and future directions
- Establish and maintain strong productive relationships with external partners and collaborators including academic labs and CROs.
At Amgen, our mission is serving patients. Our staff is dedicated to pushing the boundaries of science to transform medicine and turn the tide on serious illnesses. Central to achieving this mission is our 'people-first' philosophy. We recruit the best talent, build an environment that facilitates career growth, and provide staff with the opportunity to make significant contributions for patients and our business.
Consistent with our core leadership value of 'Develops the Best Team,' we are seeking leaders that prioritize the development of talent. As a manager, your first priority and primary role is to accelerate the performance and development of your team. We expect managers to exemplify strong leadership and champion self-awareness and career development Ways that you will display your leadership acumen in this role include:
- Mentoring, coaching, and developing staff to build highly-skilled, diverse, and inclusive teams
- Fostering a positive and respectful work environment that encourages staff retention and motivates individuals to work toward common goals and priorities
- Ensuring that staff understands how their efforts and contributions make a meaningful impact to the business
- Growing core skills and capabilities among staff, particularly in learning agility, problem solving, strategic and creative thinking, flexibility, resilience, effective communication, prioritization, delivery of results, and continuous improvement
- Making accurate evaluations of your team's skills and competencies and providing timely and respectful feedback, including direct delivery of difficult messages
- Developing an understanding of your team's career objectives and serve as a thought-partner in their career development plans
- Assisting staff with preparing for roles of growing responsibility and identifying new opportunities that expand their skills and align with their overall career objectives
- Resolving critical gaps in the organization's internal capabilities and skill sets, including strategic external recruiting
- Identifying diverse, qualified successors for key positions
- Ensuring that direct reports who also lead people consistently demonstrate these same behaviors with their staff
Doctorate degree and 4 years of Structural Biology experience
Master's degree and 8 years of Structural Biology experience
Bachelor's degree and 10 years of Structural Biology experience
4 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resourcesPreferred Qualifications
- PhD in Biochemistry, Biophysics or Structural Biology
- 12+ years of directly related industry experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art structural biology techniques including crystallography and cryo-EM structure determination
- Ability to work independently and effectively within tight timelines and to collaborate and work productively in a multidisciplinary environment
- Skills in managing multiple projects and capability to prioritize
We understand that to successfully sustain and grow as a global enterprise and deliver for patients - we must ensure a diverse and inclusive work environment.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Associated topics: bioengineering, biomedical, bioprocess, bioprocessing, biosynthetic, medical, molecular, pain, pathogenesis, therapeutic
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...