Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Financial Services - Banking/Investment/Finance
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities
are encouraged to apply.
Golden State Water Company is one of the largest investor-owned water utilities in the United States. We have been all about water for more than 80 years. Our team of professionals delivers reliable, quality water and great service to customers in 75 communities across California.
Under the direction of the Operations Financial Analyst Supervisor, the Operation Financial Analyst coordinates maintenance of utility plant records, analyze costs, recommend systems, rates and procedures and support their implementation. The incumbent also assists the Supervisor in preparations of annual Capital and Expense budgets, conducts monthly actual vs. budget flux analyses, performs other tasks, cooperates with others and respond to emergencies or unusual circumstances as required or assigned.
The Operations Financial Analyst reports to the Operations Financial Analyst Supervisor and works in an environment of routinely sensitive and confidential issues; therefore, the person in this position must have the ability to achieve policy objectives, including accountability for confidentiality of information. The Analyst is accountable for all analysis performed in relation to Regulated Utilities. This includes the responsibility to review and verify daily, monthly, quarterly, and year end transactions. As a responsible professional, this Analyst must be able to work independently, exercise initiative and judgment in the performance of the core job responsibilities of this position. This Analyst is skilled in the ability to answer questions and find immediate solutions as needed to facilitate a dynamic and high performance organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform complex financial and operational analysis to support short term and long range strategic plans and operating budgets.
- Interfaces with various business owners to complete annual capital and operations expense budgets for the Regulated Utilities Group.
- Prepares statistical data, monthly fluctuation analysis report on changes in the blanket capital budget monitoring report.
- Provide information to management by assembling and summarizing data; preparing reports; monthly flux write up between budgets versus actual; making presentations of findings, analyses, and recommendations.
- Identify non-value added processes within the Operations and seeks solutions
- Build analytical models that utilize both financial and non-financial data to forecast operating results.
- Improve financial status by analyzing results; monitoring variances; identifying trends; recommending actions to management.
- Conduct comparable analysis as necessary in support of key business metrics and objectives.
- Perform strategic and scenario analysis to determine present and future financial performance
- Responsible for performing special projects to improve process efficiency and performance as assigned by Management
- Assists with compliance requirements of property and equipment leases. Assists with fleet management program, including vehicle acquisition, location (AVLS) systems, maintenance, disposal and reporting.
- Provides assistance with coordination, development and maintenance of General Rate Case studies, data requests, rate comparisons and other assistance as needed.
- Performs/prepares various other special projects analyses such as but not limited to
- Government funded projects i.e. ARRA, Prop 50
- Water Operating & Maintenance
- Franchise Footages
- Advice Letter Projects
- Rice Ranch MDW/APDS
- Prepares or manages the preparation of special studies and periodic reports as directed.
- Provides training and acts as Subject Matter Expert for Regulated Utilities Group; report customization, system variances and troubleshoots for all accounting software.
- Ensures all related processes are in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Sarbanes Oxley requirements in accordance with the Uniform System of Accounting for water utilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Works under general supervision
MINIMUM POSITION QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related discipline or seven years of progressively responsible experience in financial accounting.
- CPA certification and experience with JD Edwards and PowerPlant accounting software preferred.
- Ability to read and analyze financial reports and present information and respond to questions from internal/external auditors.
- Demonstrated critical thinking capacity and ability to work with minimum of supervision.
- Ability to analyze, interpret data, plan, implement, and administer financial information and control systems. Knowledge of the principles, processes and standards for integrated financial analysis and reporting.
- Attention to detail and accuracy is required
- Independently manage multiple tasks, projects, works well under pressure and ability to prioritize
- Demonstrate appropriate understanding / working knowledge of accounting principles and internal controls, and apply them.
- Proficiently uses technology and re-evaluates processes to increase efficiency, accuracy and appropriate level of documentation through the skilled application of technology tools
- Superior skills with Microsoft Office applications; familiarity with data query/data management tools extremely helpful (Access, SQL, Business Objects)
- Ability to effectively communicate and establish working relationships with other departments and personnel.
Qualities of a Successful Financial Analyst
- Trustworthy; strong personal integrity
- Demonstrates strong level accountability and ownership
- Executes with discipline and urgency
- Demonstrated Impact and Influencing skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; solid presentation skills
- Collaborative/Team oriented
- Emotional Maturity
- Exhibits professionalism with internal and external contacts
- High degree of initiative; self-starter
NOTE: Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with special needs to perform the essential functions.
The responsibilities of this position will involve access to information that may be considered confidential, private and sensitive. Therefore, the individual filling this position will be required to both allow and pass a background check.
May include but not limited to standing, climbing, walking, lifting, bending, pulling and/or pushing, grasping, reaching, stooping and crouching, sitting, typing, walking, reading, writing, color determination, speaking and listening for extended periods of time.* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...