Lead Automation Scientist
Employment Type: Full-Time
This senior position leads a team in the identification, design, development, scale up, and improvement of automated workflows in current and new Research or Clinical based assays. They participate in all aspects of manual assay and automation development from concept, requirements, adaptation, optimization, training, troubleshooting, and validation of assays on an automated platform in both the Research and Development and Clinical laboratories. They are responsible for preparing or overseeing the preparation of all documentation associated with automation validation, as well as ensuring robust and complete product delivery prior to laboratory implementation.
* Supervise, train, mentor, evaluate and review Research Specialists in their projects and day to day tasks.
* Apply established knowledge of genomic, molecular biology, or biochemistry technique to innovate or troubleshoot automation workflow.
* Lead identification, development, and implementation of improved workflows in order to optimize laboratory processes for fast turnaround time, cost efficiency, scalability.
* Keep up to date on current and cutting edge developments in the laboratory automation field.
* Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to understand project objectives, gather automation requirements, design automated tests, troubleshoot issues, and implement scalable test automation solutions.
* Coordinate various test-related activities for project delivery; identifying task dependencies, assay schedules, peripheral equipment needed, LIMS system integration, and Clinical implementation.
* Technical lead for developing and optimizing scripts and methods for high throughput processing on automation systems including sample tracking, labeling, and reagent and plate preparation in a CLIA/CAP regulated setting.
* Prepare and review Standard Operating Procedures and validation documents for automation.
* Establish expertise in the operation of instrumentation and applicable laboratory techniques.
* Analyze data to ensure QA/QC requirements are met at each workflow step; ensure comprehensiveness and accuracy of data prior to Clinical implementation.
* Provide prompt, high quality on-site laboratory instrumentation and troubleshooting support to the Clinical Department.
* Provide training of manual and automated protocols directly with the Clinical Department, Validation Team, and Automation Team.
* Perform general tasks that may include but are not limited to development, validation and troubleshooting of the following: reagent plating, DNA isolation and purification, PCR, electrophoresis, gel photography and analysis, Next-Generation Sequencing library preparation, Sanger Sequencing, aCGH microarrays, and sequencing analysis.
* Maintain a professional attitude towards co-workers, instrument vendors, and support specialists.
* Understand and adhere to safety guidelines.
* Position requires sitting, bending, standing, and walking the entire workday.
* BS and/or MS and/or PhD degree in a life sciences field: Biology, Bioengineering, Molecular Biology or related field.
* Strong understanding of molecular and cellular biology and familiarity with clinical laboratory requirements.
* Proficient in Tecan Evoware Standard Software and Tecan Fluent Control.
* Strong understanding of at least one of the following: DNA Extraction, Sanger Sequencing, Next-Generation Sequencing, or Microarrays.
* Expertise with Microsoft Office products, especially Word and Excel.
* Programming knowledge in languages such as Python, MATLAB, VB.net, or VBScript is a plus.
* Minimum of 7+ years of laboratory research experience in an academic or industrial setting.
* Minimum of 7+ years of experience in automation scripting and validation in a CLIA/CAP regulated setting.
* Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and commitment to maintain open and effective communication with internal employees and managers along with outside vendors is a must.
* Excellent multi-tasking and organizational skills.
* Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, accurately, and handle multiple projects/priorities.
* Record of successfully completing complex assignments and meeting goals within aggressive timelines.
* Experience leading cross-functional team project design, development, training, validation, and implementation.
* Proven ability training, supervising and accessing skills of other Automation team members.
Ambry Genetics Corporation is a CAP-accredited and CLIA-licensed molecular genetics laboratory based in Aliso Viejo, California. We are a genetics-based healthcare company that is dedicated to open scientific exchange so we can work together to understand and treat all human disease faster.
At Ambry, everyone is welcome. A career at Ambry Genetics is a chance to be part of a dynamic company that aims to improve health by understanding the relationships between genetics and human disease. We earned our reputation as industry leaders by responsibly introducing cutting-edge genetic testing solutions and continually sharing what we learn with the global scientific community.
At Ambry you will be learning, challenging yourself, and having fun while collaborating with teammates through the open exchange of ideas. Our outstanding benefits program includes medical, dental, vision, 401k, FSA, and generous paid time off (PTO) program. Ambry Genetics is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and we maintain a drug-free work environment.
Ambry Genetics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race (and traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles such as braids, locks, and twists), color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression (including transgender status), national origin, ancestry, age, marital status or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances.
Ambry does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters, third party recruiting agencies, outside recruiters or firms without an executed contract in place. We are not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited or are received by Ambry. Such resumes will be deemed the sole property of Ambry and will be processed accordingly.