Bioinformatics Scientist II
Employment Type: Full-Time
The job's main responsibility is to collaborate with biologists, bioinformaticians, and clinicians to design, develop, validate, and maintain bioinformatics pipelines and applications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Support Lab and Pharma partners in delivering Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data analysis result and explore applications for clinical tests
* Support Advanced Genomics Services (AGS) department by analyzing and interpreting NGS data including DNA sequencing, RNA-seq, whole transcriptome sequencing (WTS) and whole exome sequencing (WES) etc.
* Data management including but not limited to data reviewing, transferring and database uploading
* Develop, maintain and support improvement of bioinformatics pipeline
* PhD degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, biophysics, biology and computer science, or related discipline with industrial experience desired
* MS degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, biophysics, biology and computer science, or related discipline plus at least 3 years industrial experiences is required
* Knowledge of cancer genomics and human genetics
* Familiar with molecular biology, biological pathways, genomics and variant calling
* Strong knowledge of current theories and principals of bioinformatics and computational biology
* Proficiency in NGS data processing, bioinformatics pipeline for DNA sequencing analysis (variant calling) or RNA sequencing analysis (variant calling, gene expression analysis etc) or at least one of them.
* Working knowledge with public domain tools for example, BWA, SAMTools, Bowtie2, STAR, TopHat, Picard, PINDEL, GATK, CNVKit etc.
* Proficiency with at least one programming language (Python, Perl, R, C/C++, Java, Bash) in Linux/Unix environment
* Working knowledge with bioinformatics databases (COSMIC, TCGA, RefSeq, dbSNP, ClinVar, etc)
* Experiences with database design and management such as MySQL, PostgreSQL or Microsoft SQL Server
* Proficiency with HPC computing environments
* Experiences with AWS or Azure cloud environment
* Working knowledge of code repository best practices and distributed version control system
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Ability to work within a team, among cross-departments, and as an independent contributor with strong motivation to learn and excel
* Be adaptive and and be a problem solver
Ambry Genetics Corporation is a CAP-accredited and CLIA-licensed molecular genetics laboratory based in Aliso Viejo, California. We are a genetics-based healthcare company that is dedicated to open scientific exchange so we can work together to understand and treat all human disease faster.
At Ambry, everyone is welcome. A career at Ambry Genetics is a chance to be part of a dynamic company that aims to improve health by understanding the relationships between genetics and human disease. We earned our reputation as industry leaders by responsibly introducing cutting-edge genetic testing solutions and continually sharing what we learn with the global scientific community. We also support those with genetic conditions through the Mauli Ola Foundation and other nonprofit organizations.
At Ambry you will be learning, challenging yourself, and having fun while collaborating with teammates through the open exchange of ideas. Employees at Ambry Genetics have many perks, including an onsite café with complimentary smoothies and infused waters! We also offer access to gym memberships, onsite food trucks, 'Lunch and Learns,' and more. Our outstanding benefits program includes medical, dental, vision, 401k, FSA, and generous paid time off (PTO) program. Ambry Genetics is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and we maintain a drug-free work environment.
Ambry Genetics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.