Senior Fire Consultant, Building and Construction
Employment Type: Full-Time
Intertek, a leading provider of ATIC (Assurance, Testing, Inspection and Certification) Services, is looking for Senior Fire Consultant to join our Building and Construction team.
Ranked #15 on the 2020 ENR list of Top 500 Design Firms, and with more than a hundred offices across North America, the building and construction team provides the architectural, engineering and construction (A/E/C) industry with a full suite of capabilities both in the lab and on site. From testing, inspection, and certification services to building sciences solutions, the company delivers Total Quality Assurance to the built environment.
* Manage fire consulting/commissioning service line.
* Manage fire consulting/commissioning projects.
* Assist in national/international business development, marketing and sales efforts regarding fire consulting and testing.
* Perform forensic investigation and litigation support on fire claim project.
* Prepare proposals and develop new business promptly to support the business.
* Collaborate with Building Sciences Group and Fire testing managers to source and share client contacts and leads.
* Project management activities including planning, budgeting, scheduling, staffing, execution, and reporting. Manage project managers, including technical and scope/budget aspects.
* Monitor contract requirements, invoicing, receivables, and maintain acceptable profit margins.
* Lead a team of professionals as part of Intertek's/ATI's rapidly growing Building Sciences Group
* Participate in training and management of fire and building science staff to assist on fire consulting projects.
* Write and execute fire testing protocols for fire consulting and commissioning projects.
* Prepare complete fire construction document deliverables, along with Building Science staff, for new buildings and renovation / restoration projects.
* Develop practical fire-related remedial work recommendations and plans when working on existing building projects.
* Perform reviews of architectural and MEP drawings, specifications, shop drawings and submittals pertaining to fire requirements.
* Prepare accurate and concise reports for assigned projects.
* Coordinate effectively with architects, engineers, consultants, owners, and other stakeholders, to incorporate fire recommendations into projects.
* Perform construction administration site visits to inspect construction and implementation of fire elements; follow up with timely reports / punch lists.
* Procure equipment needed for on-site fire testing and analysis. Ensure equipment is calibrated and maintained per manufacturer specs.
* Procure fire modeling and analysis software programs. Train staff on the use and limitations of software.
* Represent Intertek/ATI and contribute to fire knowledge base by teaching courses, giving lectures, and writing articles and technical papers.
* Consistent and professional interaction and communication with clients and project team.
* Local and overnight travel, as required for assigned projects and tasks, could be frequent.
* Maintain enough workload/backlog to meet target staff utilization rates.
* Provide technical assistance to our fire labs as needed.
* 15+ years' experience in fire consulting (preferred)
* BS in engineering/architecture, or other related degree, with MS in fire related degree (preferred)
* Strong knowledge of fire test methods and standards
* Strong knowledge of the construction process
* Extensive knowledge of fire modeling software
* Ability to read and understand architectural drawings and specifications
* Ability to perform office tasks and physical labor tasks
* Ability to work independently on assigned tasks
* Ability to manage projects and internal project team on all sizes of projects
* Ability to perform work from ladders, boom-lifts, roof levels, etc
* Extensive technical competence and ability to effectively communicate with clients, designers, contractors, and coworkers, both in writing and orally
* Ability to develop and maintain good rapport with clients, designers, contractors, etc.
* Strong planning and organizational skills, with the ability to meet changing and strict deadlines
* Experience with managing staff, both technical and administrative.
* Willingness to travel 50% of the time or more
* Sound computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite and AutoCad)
* Valid driver's license and a clean driving record
* Ability to pass a pre-employment physical and drug screen
Intertek is a leading Total Quality Assurance provider to industries worldwide. Our network of more than 1,000 laboratories and offices and over 43,000 people in more than 100 countries, delivers innovative and bespoke Assurance, Testing, Inspection and Certification solutions for our customers' operations and supply chains. Intertek Total Quality Assurance expertise delivered consistently with precision, pace and passion, enabling our customers to power ahead safely.
A career with Intertek means joining a global network of professionals dedicated to bringing quality and safety to life. Our vision is to become the world's most trusted partner for Quality Assurance and we offer our employees the chance to make an impact with attractive growth opportunities in this industry on a global scale.
We offer a salary and benefit package competitively placed within the local market, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement and more.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status or on the basis of disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Intertek is a drug-free workplace. As a condition of employment, all hires are required to pass a pre-employment drug test.