Dental Assistant, Per Diem, Day shift
Employment Type: Full-Time
SUMMARY: Under supervision, assists a Dentist or Dental Hygienist in the performance of his/her duties and keeps records. Performs related duties as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Makes appointments for patients; keeps records of patient's admissions, results of examinations, dental work performed, and number of patients seen; keeps dental office and equipment neat, clean and sanitary.
2. May assist a Dentist or Dental Hygienist in such chair side functions as application of topical agents, removal of dental dressings and sutures, placement and removal of orthodontic separators and assisting in administration of sedation.
3. May present information on dental health to the general public and other staff. Placement of temporary crowns or bridges; study models impressions; seleants; coronal polishing; rubber dam placement; placement of tofflemire; periodontal dressing placing; calcium hydroxide application; varnish application; topical application; temporary fillings; make fluoride trays.
4. Prepares and arranges dental instruments, equipment and accessories on trays ready for use; sterilizes and cares for dental instruments; keeps a sufficient amount of dental supplies available.
5. Takes digital x-rays and takes, develops and mounts non-digital x-rays; assists in dental laboratory; mixes and maintains supplies of solutions for developing and sterilizing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Education: Completion of a recognized course of dental assistance. Minimum Experience: 18 months experience as a dental assistant may be substituted for educational requirement. Required Licenses/Certifications: A valid x-ray license issued by the State of California Board of Dental Examiners, Department of Consumer Affairs or accredited Dental Assisting School is required for positions that operate oral x-ray equipment. Required Licenses/Certifications: FOR NEW HIRES, incumbents will have three months to obtain the (1) Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) license, the (2) Coronal Polishing Certificate and the (3) Sealant Certificate.